PDA

View Full Version : Win98 explorer opens up & stays minimised (no panes at all)

wun2win
12-01-2003, 09:13 PM
I would be grateful for a fix on this because it seems the next step is a complete re-format. When launching explorer.exe, all that appears is a minimsed button in the task tray. Can't maximise it. I can't seem to repair from the Win98 CD because it says that I need to close down Antivirus software before install/remove will run even though I have removed all such software and made sure the BIOS antivirus is disabled.

Oxie
12-01-2003, 09:31 PM
wun2win

If you right click the mouse on the minimised window do you get an option to restore or maximize?

Lyn (Oxie)

godfather
12-01-2003, 10:18 PM
Do you have the "move" option available when you right-click the button in the task tray?

If so, click on it, then use the left ot right arrow keys to see if you can drag it into view.

What you describe can occur if you have a dual monitor accidently setup, and no second monitor, so the application has opened on a screen to the left or right of the one you are viewing.

wun2win
13-01-2003, 01:05 PM
I stand in awe of the godfather! Yes, I do have a dual display card and yes, I am waiting for a replacement 2nd monitor; and yes, hooking up the 2nd monitor there was my missing window. Thankyou for saving what sanity I had left - very little. Thanks to Oxie for also contributing. The world is a better place due to people as yourselves.

I guess the problem of not being able to repair files from the win98 CD is a separate problem - perhaps when it reports that the non existent anti virus must be turned off when it may be seeing the low level memory program "goback" by Roxio. It the only thing I can think of. Any comments please?

godfather
13-01-2003, 01:18 PM
Sometimes my crystal ball works OK :)

I run dual monitors, and that often happens if I don't have the second one turned on.

Its possible that some part of the antivirus software may still be running?

Its actually quite a feat to remove it, but I also wonder if thats not the real reason. Obviously Windows is detecting some sort of protection running. I've not used Goback, but I believe it monitors changes, so thats a possibility. I think others don't tend to leave it running, as it can slow things up.

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2003, 01:20 PM
> Sometimes my crystal ball works OK :)
>

Oooooooh.... Where can I get one of these myself ;)

> Its possible that some part of the antivirus software
> may still be running?
>

It wouldnt be the BIOS antivirus would it?

godfather
13-01-2003, 01:28 PM
Forgetting to read the post again CS?

>even though I have removed all such software and made sure the BIOS antivirus is disabled.

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2003, 01:44 PM
> Forgetting to read the post again CS?
>
> >even though I have removed all such software and
> made sure the BIOS antivirus is disabled.

;) Must be - I'll work on it :)

:):):)

Useless piece of information to follow...

:) Did you know that it takes a whole lot more muscles to frown that it does to smile? Give your face a rest and smile at wombody :)

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2003, 01:45 PM
> wombody :)

Should read:

somebody :)

*Mental note to self.. Start using the Preveiw too*