PDA

View Full Version : Homenetwork using Nokia M1122 ADSL

chiefnz
12-01-2003, 06:17 PM
Hi there, I have a Nokia M1122 ADSL modem. It has 4 ethernet ports which I use to connect my 3 homecomputers for the internet.

Everything works fine except that I cannot browse any of the computers on the network. I have all the correct sharing points and permissions (using Windows 2000) but still I can browse the ohter computers. I can ping all the other stations but can't use Windoes explorer to see the files on each PC.

Is this possible with the modem and how do I do it, when i had just a hub connecting the PC's it worked just fine. I've tried using the hub again but then my internet doesn't work event though i can browse all the computers.

Any ideas ould be helpful

Capt Jimbo
12-01-2003, 09:20 PM
I'm not sure that the router is intended to be used as a hub.
Although I'm not an expert on the subject I've seen a couple of networks connected to the internet through a Nokia router and in both cases they also used network switches for their internal network connectivity.
Do you still have your original hub? It would be easy to connect that into the network.

Capt Jimbo

chiefnz
12-01-2003, 11:08 PM
Thanks for that, I know it can be done I just don't know how, I recall something about connecting the Hub and router by using a crossover cale but I don't know exactly how it all works

dogfather
12-01-2003, 11:10 PM
My router connects to the hub either by a crossover cable, or if the hub has an "uplink" port (and most do), then a standard cable from the uplink port to the ADSL router should work.

CYaBro
13-01-2003, 09:03 AM
I have used these router/modems as a hub and all has worked fine. Of cause you can only have up to 4 PC's connected.

Are you using the routers built in DHCP server?

chiefnz
13-01-2003, 04:49 PM
Yes I am using the built in DHCP server of the modem.

I have a crossover cable but my hub doesn't have a uplink port!

What else can it be... Do You think I should just uninstalll the network components from all the PC's and start from scratch?

So far what I've tried... connected all the PC's to the hub and then the hub to the modem using a crossover cable... nothing worked.