PDA

View Full Version : Windows ME and RAM

Buddy
12-01-2003, 01:20 PM
The common problem with Win.ME, is it not giving back RAM after having used it. I think I have that right.
I have been looking at software available on the net. One I see there is called Release Ram, from Acceleratedsoftware.net
Has anyone out there used it, or could advise this 64 years young guy on this subject?

tweak\'e
12-01-2003, 01:45 PM
>The common problem with Win.ME, is it not giving back RAM after having used it.

its very rarly windows thats doing that. mostly its buggy programs and/or drivers. generally speaking ram programs are a waste of time. what you gain in ram you lose in resoureces which is more important than ram.

the only time i use ram progs is when i HAVE to use some buggy software.

godfather
12-01-2003, 01:48 PM
The main issue was more that Win 95/98/ME did not release resources. Strictly speaking, this is not "RAM", but a finite number of "pointers" or "resource heaps" within the system. They are held in RAM, but thats not the issue. The software you refer to only deals with memory, but is it achieving it by playing with the resource heaps? Unknown. If it really was that simple, I thing MS would have done a patch?

I used ME for quite a while, and found that a reboot was all that was needed. Its usually only some software that doesnt release the resources. I ran a utility called TClock.exe, which displayed the free resources (not the RAM) in the system tray, by the clock. If they got low, then I would reboot. Never had a problem that way.

As I said, it is only some software that misbehaves, and its mostly the older packages in my experience.

Buddy
12-01-2003, 02:49 PM
Thanks Guys. That helps.

superOman
12-01-2003, 04:06 PM
I would say that ME doesnt release ram. When running intense editing applications like freehand, photoshop and corel draw I have problems

tweak\'e
12-01-2003, 05:04 PM
> I would say that ME doesnt release ram. When running
> intense editing applications like freehand, photoshop
> and corel draw I have problems

what problems do you get?

how do you know its windows causeing it? if it was just windows then it happen all the time not just when useing one or to programs. some video/graphics programs overwrite windows memory settings anyway.

kiwibeat
13-01-2003, 10:34 AM
try cacheman

tweak\'e
13-01-2003, 10:48 AM
cacheman (http://www.outertech.com/) is a very handy tweaking program (tweak'e endorsed :^O ). it adjust a few settings and there is no need to have it running all the time.