PDA

View Full Version : TV Tuners

veterannz
12-01-2003, 12:49 PM
Can anyone supply me with information regarding TV Tuners on PC's. Are they any good . What channels do they pick up.
In NZ are they likely to pick up all the conventioal channels and perhaps prime

godfather
12-01-2003, 01:37 PM
They are, as the name says, a TV tuner.
They will receive the same signals as a TV would.
They need a good antenna signal, just as a TV does. (possibly need a slightly better signal level than a normal TV, but much the same)
The resolution is a bit less than a TV, but fine providing you dont want full screen at a close viewing distance.
My experience suggests at least a 1 GHz processor if you want to display full screen. Smaller window display requires less processor power.
A PIII 667 will go to about 2/3 screen size.

All VHF band 1, VHF band 2 and UHF are covered

veterannz
12-01-2003, 02:49 PM
How do you connect an antenna to a PC

tweak\'e
12-01-2003, 02:54 PM
>How do you connect an antenna to a PC

plug it in to the tv card.

godfather
12-01-2003, 03:00 PM
The TV card I use has TV antenna input, FM radio antenna input (not needed if you have a TV antenna plugged in usually), Composite video input (for use as a low resolution capture card for external video), Audio output (for feeding into the Line Input on your soundcard), remote control sensor head input (for a supplied RC infra red sensor).

Just think of it as a TV set on a card.
It uses your TV soundcard for audio
It uses your video display system for picture

Otherwise its - a TV set with FM radio (in the model I have)

roofus
12-01-2003, 04:18 PM
I once had a dynalink tv tunner, a common brand that im sure they still sell at DSE.
it ran at fullscreen on my 300mhz PC, so i don't know why a previous post suggested you need 1Ghz. The tunner i had BT videocapture driver which is known to be quite good. The picture displayed onscrean is an overlay (which means no processing for the CPU) so once again i don't understand why you would need 1ghz.

I received TV channels ok and if your really naughty you can get decoding software for SKY.

One problem i had was that my bunny ears would not pick up channel 1 at all. This was because the interferance from the CPU was just too much for the little bunnyears, If you had the tunner hooked up to an outside aerial i wouldn't see it being a problem.

godfather
12-01-2003, 04:40 PM
Roofus, I assure you thats the case re the inability (yes, in overlay mode) to run full screen for the PCI Flyvideo/Lifeview 98 series - when using onboard video chipset on a 667 MHz PC.
This was tried in more than 1 PC as well, different operating system versions using the appropriate drivers. Overlay may be better with a separate video card, but I was never able to try that on the slower machines.

On a 2 GHz P4 with a separate AGP card CPU usage is next to nothing for a small window, but full screen is above 80% XP drivers do not give an option of overlay or not.

I only report what actually happens with this model that I use, DSE do not appear to stock the Dynalink any longer but have similar units to this.

roofus
12-01-2003, 04:44 PM
interesting.
Different brand so maybe different technologies.
I ran the dynalink on a 300CPU with a 66mhzFSB (might have been 100) with a 1MB expandable to 8MB onboard graphics card.

SO in regards to this thread get a dynalink and not a Flyvideo!!

Curly
12-01-2003, 05:07 PM
I presently run a Dynalink CPH61, purchased off TradeMe.

Absolutley excellent and we are miles into the country. Receives 1, 2 and 3 perfectly with a makeshift antenna. Won't receive 4 but that is because of where we live (75 Kms SE of Whangarei). It will receive Prime, but the picture quality is poor.

Receives perfect sound for all of the Sky channels and CNN, I also understand that there is software somewhere that might decode such channels.

Comes with Teletext but not FM Radio.

I generally run it in a window, about 25x25mm, while working on the computer or online. The very best add on thingy I have purchased for our compuers, so good my wife now wants one for hers, but they don't come up for sale that often. Not sure if they are available retail.

agent
12-01-2003, 05:14 PM
They're definitely available through retail outlets, but they probably wouldn't be common out where you are.

I used to use the TV tuner on board my ATI graphics card, and it ran perfectly fullscreen... my computer was 500MHz with 96MB RAM and a 6GB HDD. Then we moved to an area where the reception is cut out due to hills, and my computer was upgraded in any case.

fergie
12-01-2003, 05:18 PM
> The TV card I use has TV antenna input, FM radio
> antenna input (not needed if you have a TV antenna
> plugged in usually), Composite video input (for use
> as a low resolution capture card for external video),
> Audio output (for feeding into the Line Input on your
> soundcard), remote control sensor head input (for a
> supplied RC infra red sensor).
>
> Just think of it as a TV set on a card.
> It uses your TV soundcard for audio
> It uses your video display system for picture
>
> Otherwise its - a TV set with FM radio (in the model
> I have)

Godfather, may i ask wot card that is?
And how much it cost?
Thanks

agent
12-01-2003, 05:38 PM
Don't know if this is the card godfather has, but take a look at this post (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=29692&q=pixelview#120812).

If you buy the +FM/RC model, you can listen to FM radio, watch TV, edit video, capture video, make VCDs, get inputs from a video camera, VCR, or DVD, record FM radio, and you get a remote control.

godfather
12-01-2003, 06:43 PM
Looks like its out of stock as well now, but it was the TV+FM version of this (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3e21001003eda254273fc0a87f99067c/Product/View/XH6548) model. Cost about $150 a couple of years ago

godfather
12-01-2003, 07:13 PM
Roofus, I wonder if this is the answer...(Lifeview PCI TV Tuner Card)

Please Note: nVidia chipset based video cards such as GeForce2, GeForce3 and TNT, may not support overlay mode which is used extensively by this card. As a result of this issue, if you purchase this card and find it will not work with your Video card, simply return it to any Dick Smith Electronics store, complete with packaging and in new condition, for a full refund.

roofus
12-01-2003, 07:16 PM
here (http://www.dynalink.com.au/products/cph061.htm) is the card that i had, using the brooktree capture unit, as you can see it was rated very highly.
I notice it is discontinued in NZ, so you would have to buy it from Australia (which with the exchange rate could work out in your benefit)

roofus
12-01-2003, 07:20 PM
> Roofus, I wonder if this is the answer...(Lifeview
> PCI TV Tuner Card)
>
> Please Note: nVidia chipset based video cards such
> as GeForce2, GeForce3 and TNT, may not support
> overlay mode which is used extensively by this card.
> As a result of this issue, if you purchase this card
> and find it will not work with your Video card,
> simply return it to any Dick Smith Electronics store,
> complete with packaging and in new condition, for a
> full refund.
>
>

Yea i just read that too

agent
12-01-2003, 07:22 PM
Anyone know where you get this "naughty" Sky decoding software? I have a Sky decoder and satellite, for my TV, so it would probably be more legal than if I didn't have one, would it not?

roofus
12-01-2003, 07:27 PM
Yea since your paying for the service i would imagine it would be legal. you'd have to refer to their terms and conditions though.
Type in sky decoder or the likes into kazza.

fergie
12-01-2003, 07:32 PM
>
> here (http://www.dynalink.com.au/products/cph061.htm) is the card that i had, using the
> brooktree capture unit, as you can see it was rated
> very highly.
> I notice it is discontinued in NZ, so you would have
> to buy it from Australia (which with the exchange
> rate could work out in your benefit)

yeah, i saw that card asweel
but it doesn't have fm tuner.

But then, i also have sky digital, and the extra UHF decoder and i was wondering, would u be able to get this 'naughty' software and listen to radio through sky digital (beacsue u can get a few radio stations on SD) - or will it only pik up sky UHF?
Cheers

godfather
12-01-2003, 07:36 PM
It is not legal to use decoding software on Sky under any circumstances.

That said, a TV tuner card will only receive UHF signals Fergie, not satellite digital signals.

Its an analogue receiver, not a microwave digital one.

agent
12-01-2003, 07:53 PM
Quick search finds most of them aren't for NZ Sky Decoders, and it is against the terms of use anyway.

charithrac
06-06-2007, 06:31 PM
I bought the tv tuner + fm v3 card from dick smith cost me only 58 buks lol. Got a small problem im getting, Tv 0ne, tv2, tv3, maori tv, sky sports, c4, but im not getting prime. Any idea why? Its cabled to my roof antenna.