PDA

View Full Version : PS2 or Xbox or DVD?

Mike
11-01-2003, 08:47 PM
My birthday coming up... so I've got a question:

What should I get, and why? And who's got the best price on what? The choices are as follows

Playstation 2
XBox
or a DVD player (which brand, why, and how much from where?)

And if your answer is just going to be something like "not XBox cause it's Microsoft" then don't bother :) I want useful answers that we can base the purchase on :D

Mike.

PS If anyone's got a better idea than those three, I'm also very open to suggestions :D Although funds are limited to around the prices of one of the items above.

-=JM=-
11-01-2003, 08:57 PM
Haven't had much experience with either of the consoles. But my mate works at Gamesman (http://www.gamesman.co.nz) and says that the XBox crashes (a lot). To the point where the display boxes for them even have an accessible reset button.

Not sure on it though, this is just coming from a mate.

godfather
11-01-2003, 08:58 PM
The features available on a stand-alone DVD such as the Mustek from DSE ($199 - $209 on special) would be hard to replicate on an X-box/PS2.

BUT you cannt play games on the DVD player. The DVD player is a lot cheaper though.

What is your prime requirement I guess? Playing DVD's or Games?

segfault
11-01-2003, 09:32 PM
I would recommend the PS2 because

a) its backward compatible with PS1 games
b) its designed to be a games console unlike the Xbox - the xbox is just an x86. (The Xbox has very poor latency compared to the PS2).

The PS2 also seems to have a lot more games available. There you go, thats why I'd pick a PS2.

Don't forget you can also get a Linux kit for the PS2, hehe :P

Synchronised_Thoughts
11-01-2003, 09:59 PM
ok ok, everyone will most likely say PS2, but you have to go with your age i spose, XBOX has a larger range of adult games compared to PS2!!

Synchronised_Thoughts

robsonde
11-01-2003, 10:16 PM
I have all three in the house and XBOX is better for most games.

XBOX plays DVDs ok.

NOTE: super slow loading times on 1 or 2 XBOX games.

Baldy
11-01-2003, 10:26 PM
Its my birthday coming up too.

If I had mt preference I would go with a PS2 as it plays PSOne games. If I wanted to predominantly play DVDs I would buy a DVD player.

sam m
11-01-2003, 10:56 PM
Same dilemma here Mike.
My bro's in Aust have both PS2 and Xbox.

Their verdict - XBOX! XBOX! XBOX!

Their reason - Graphics are superior and multiplayer rocks and the DVD playback matches standalone DVD units.

Downside - not as many choices of games (early days yet tho'), DVD accessories (remote) extra cost, cannot play ps1 games which they have tons of.

This is only their opinion and I trust them more than any sales pitch as their tastes are the same as mine... well they are my brothers after all.

good luck on your decision

sam m

hacking_local_isp_servers
12-01-2003, 09:42 AM
I've had an xbox since the day they came out, and as for "crashes" i have never seen one. the Games range may be small in comparison to the PS2 but look how much longer the PS2 has been on the shelves. the xbox seems to run alot crisper than the PS2 and the graphics look AWSOME. it may not be dvd compatible straight from the box but you Can get a DVD kit for it. backwards compatible? does ANYONE even play PS1 games on their PS2? i'd doubt it.

Go for the XBOX (my choice hands down) my PS2 is now back in it's box and under the bed. oh... i am now sucessfully booting linux 6.2 (redhat) on my xbox (although it is awfully slow) and i see some german guys have it booting linux AND win2k and running games..

Also with the xbox you get a 8Gb HDD and the ability to play games online and even download extra content for your games (not in NZ yet).

go for the Xbox... i'll bet you a free copy of windows 2000 professional edition and Ofice 2000 you'll be much happier with it over a PS2 :P

John H
12-01-2003, 10:12 AM
If you go to: www.consumer.co.nz you will find their tests of DVDs, dated Nov 2002. They give some brief attention to the issue you have raised, and you may find it of some interest.

Much of the information on the tests is free, but the really critical stuff requires a paid subscription to Consumer magazine. If you want to follow up the free stuff on the tests with a read of the rest of the article, your local library may be able to assist...

John

John H
12-01-2003, 10:15 AM
I am sorry: that address should have been:
www.consumer.org.nz

John

BIFF
12-01-2003, 11:16 AM
> - the xbox is just an x86. (The Xbox has very poor
> latency compared to the PS2).

What part of the Xbox has poor latency?

segfault
12-01-2003, 11:21 AM
> > - the xbox is just an x86. (The Xbox has very poor
> > latency compared to the PS2).
>
> What part of the Xbox has poor latency?

From what I read, it was the CPU.

raddersnz
12-01-2003, 01:11 PM
The games that are originally designed for the X-Box, have supperior graphics over any PS2 games. The games that have been developed for the PS2 and ported to the X-Box are on a par.
The online gaming capability of the two consoles are :-
PS2 - you may dail-up, they most likely have dedicated modems also
X-Box - you must use a dedicated channel, ie. Jetstream

For DVD playback, the PS2 needs either a chip?:|, or a DVD remote - for the zones.
The X-Box I am unsure of, and need to do some more research.

Unless you were thinking of getting a DVD with 40GB (approx $1400) or a Samsung DVD +Video, the best choice would be the either of the consoles having the added feature of gameplay:)

The lack of games for the X-Box is only limited by time. We all know how many games Microsoft have, and how many are being made for the PC.

Massive Entertainment Pack (http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=18173&crumb=10003-10102-10603-10602) seems the best choice from NL for the X-Box
{url=http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=18959&crumb=10003-10102-10119-10121]Extreme Power Pack[/url] for the PS2.
There must be similar (or better) deals elsewhere:)

Good luck

radz:p

John H
12-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Here is what Consumer said about the game consoles:

"So your kids have been pestering you for a PS2 or Xbox - using the persuasive lure that you'll be able to use it yourself for watching DVD movies. Sure ... if you can ever prise them off it.
"There are advantages. The Xbox has faultless picture quality and the PS2 is close behind. Both consoles can be adapted (with an extra kit) to connect to a TV via a high-quality S-Video connection. Both can reproduce Dolby Digital and DTS sound - the Xbox needs an adaptor for DTS though.
"The Xbox has an excellent remote and sophisticated menu screen.
"But ... both consoles are Zone 4. With the PS2, that's the end of the matter - you can't play DVDs from another zone. The Xbox is zoned the first time you insert the sensor that comes with the DVD-playing kit. Kits bought in New Zealand have a Zone 4 sensor. You might be able to get hold of a Zone 1 or 2 kit, but once installed, your machine will be permanently disabled from playing Zone 4 movies. Not a wise move.
"Both consoles also contain small fans to keep them cool, which makes them noticeably noisier than the other players.
"The technical sound tests showed some problems, although average users probably won't notice a difference.
"The consoles were marked down for ease of use due to complicated programming for CD playback, lack of front-panel controls and no front-panel indicator display. The PS2's remote is difficult to read, and has tiny navigation keys."

The Consumer top recommendation was for the Pioneer DV-355

Hope that helps

Mike
13-01-2003, 07:16 PM
Thanks people - yeah, I was wanting it mainly for DVD viewing, but the added attraction of gaming was tempting... but I think I'll skip it for now and go for a cheaper DVD player (and perhaps put the extra leftover money towards some more DVDs :))

Any suggestions as to brands/prices/where to buy? :D

Mike.

Synchronised_Thoughts
13-01-2003, 07:33 PM
DickSmith stores have a good range of DVD players, I have a Mustek V560 DVD Player, its multizoned and I think is a very good player for a reasonable price at only 200 dollas!!:)

but if your looking for a exspensive player look at the Panasonic DVD Player DVD-RV32, the prrice is a harsh 400 dollas!?:| dont know whats so good about it though....

SYnchronised_Thoughts

Baldy
13-01-2003, 07:34 PM
Hi Mike,

There has been a fair amount of previous discussion on this topic before.

You should be able to buy a basic, good quality player for less than, or around $200. (Lennoxx Mizuda etc)

Go to Farmers, Harvey Norman, Noel Leeming etc.

BALDY:-)

I would also check the PressF1 search archives

Mike
13-01-2003, 08:00 PM
>>> There has been a fair amount of previous discussion on this topic before.

Yeah I know there has - the reason why I posted a fresh thread on it though was for the price - if anyone knows of a current not-to-be-missed deal somewhere I want to know about it, if you know what I mean :)

Mike.

Baldy
13-01-2003, 08:13 PM
Nudge, nudge, wink, wink - say no more.

Moving trucks in your street all next week LOL

agent
13-01-2003, 08:26 PM
Don't know if anyones said this, but a dedicated system will always perform better than a shared one... basically, if you're only going to watch DVDs, a standard DVD player will do it far better than the one in an Xbox or PS2.