PDA

View Full Version : i need help with my new setup with my adsl modem etc...plz

raziel
10-01-2003, 08:35 PM
hey..does anyone know how i can set up my modem properly. i've connected the ethernet card and adsl but my pc only detects the ethernet card and not adsl...is nething wrong or do i wait for my isp to sort it out?

Billy T
10-01-2003, 08:43 PM
What type of adsl modem is it, and have you installed it as per the manufacturer's instructions?

For your connection to your ISP you will have to follow their instructions after you get the modem installed.

That's for starters.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

raziel
10-01-2003, 08:59 PM
its a d-link 500 router..i think i have to wait for the isp to set it all up and if i still need help ill post something up...thanx Billy

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
10-01-2003, 09:40 PM
Hey, i just happen to have brought the same thing, not so long ago. The instructions that came with it should be clear enough. But any problem, just reply and I'm more than happy to help you.

Billy T
11-01-2003, 03:24 PM
Don't forget that Telecom also have to enable their adsl service to your phone line. Nothing works without that.

BTW routers don't need any software installed on your computer, you just need the ISP setup. I use a Nokia Ni500 and although it did install an ISP configuration program on ymy computer, once set up that was redundant. Any of my networked computers can now access the net or send email etc via the router simply by setting up a normal internet connection and choosing LAN rather than dial-up. No modem software is required.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

kiwistag
20-01-2003, 08:54 PM
There is 1 thing to note with ADSL and modems/routers too.

Don't adjust the default / recommended settings that are on the device unless Telecom say so. Otherwise you will not get a connection. None of the technical looking settings need changing, they are the means of the device communicating with the Telecom DSLAM.

Big John
20-01-2003, 09:15 PM
The first thing I did when I got mine was to change the settings!!!
Why, because they are usually set up with an IP address that is completely wrong for your PC. Mine came set as 192.168.1.1.
My PC and all my PC's are set up to use 192.168.0.xxx and therefore could not see the router. Simple to change the IP address of the router to something that fits your systems than the other way around. I set mine for 192.168.0.254.

The manual usually tells you how to do things and what to set. At least the Dynalink ones do. They even come with the settings written down for NZ DSL.