PDA

View Full Version : Which drive?

CYaBro
10-01-2003, 01:23 PM
Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on which drive to use for everyday reading of CD's in a PC which has a CD-Writer and a DVD drive.

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2003, 01:26 PM
Man, That's a good one??

Both would be leanient (spelling?!) on Disc size's, as most CD-R's can burn at least to 700MB CD-R's, but then again, DVD-Rom's can read 4.7 Gigs... I would say the DVD-ROM, coz the parts in the burner would be more sensitive coz they dont JUST read, but write as well....

Maybe it doesnt really matter...

Maybe this is a trick question...

*Maybe Chilling_Silence is going crazy ;)*

godfather
10-01-2003, 01:30 PM
I have the same situation, and I use the CD Writer, but really only because its on the top.
Some believe that DVD drives can read CDs better than CD Rom drives.

You used to be able to discriminate by cost, as my first CD Writer cost $900, and you had a separate CD Rom drive to save the wear and tear.

Now they are all cheap.

One point to consider, is that if a CD Writer goes faulty, it can destroy your CD with the laser if it goes to full power. A DVD is unlikely to, as the laser is lower powered not having to write. Its a rare event though.

I would say, whichever is more convenient, fastest.

CYaBro
10-01-2003, 01:34 PM
That's what I thought. DVD is on top so use that most of the time. Both read CD's at the same 48x speed. :)

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2003, 01:36 PM
There's the two way arguement :
Side a:
The DVD-ROM can read the Disc's better coz it has to read 'finer' than CD-ROM's coz DVD's squeeze more into the same space

Side b:
The DVD-ROM should not be used to read scratched/damaged disc's, as it will fail because it needs the information to be perfect, as it reads so much 'finer' than CD-ROM's, and so cannot tollerate the scratch etc...

Personally, I'd believe Side a, but I think godfather is right, whatever is easiest!

tweak\'e
10-01-2003, 02:01 PM
i have the same setup. i use the dvd drive for most things. its cheaper and reads faster than the cd writer. general idea is to save the cd writer for writing only.

fergie
13-01-2003, 09:25 AM
hi
just a quik Q here.
i don't have a dvdrom, but i've been thinking about buying one.
But i see speeds like 12x and 16x, is this the same as 12x, 16x on a cdrom - or is it measured differently?
If it is different, wot would 16x dvd speed, rate as a cdrom speed?
Also, what is the fastest DVD speed you can get?
cheers

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2003, 10:05 AM
A 16x will be more than enough with DVD-ROM.
Remember that 1x CD-ROM is 150KB/s
a 1x DVD-ROM is 8 times faster at 1200KB/s
So in theory my 16x DVD-ROM transfers at speeds faster than a 100x CD-ROM!!! The thing is that's for DVD's which need higher transfer rates as they hold 4.7 gigs each.
My DVD-ROM transfer's CD-ROMs at 48x, not over 100x :(

As for fastest speed? I dunno, think about it, if it spins at the same speed as a CD-ROM in relation to speed.. then its spinning twice as fast already as most, I wouldnt think you'd need more than 16x.

Anybody else care to comment?

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

BTW - Go buy one.. They're great fun, with picture quality that surpasses that of VHS any day!

fergie
13-01-2003, 10:43 AM
Ok, thanks chilling
thats all i needed to no.

tweak\'e
13-01-2003, 10:49 AM
dvd reading speads are different from cd speeds. most dvd drives will read a cd at ~40x-50x, much the same as most cd writers.