PDA

View Full Version : Two 10 second Questions....

JamesStewart
10-01-2003, 12:23 PM
Hey all. Umm, i know these are easy questions but I just can't remember what to do.

1)The internet connection (dial up, Xtra) isn't showing in the taskbar. What do I do to get it back?

2) The settings from my: Internet Expolor - Menu - Tools - Internet Options are missing, the only one there is Privacy. Where in "regedit" do i find the option to make the rest of the options come back?

Mike
10-01-2003, 12:47 PM
1) Open Dial Up Connections (Should be able to find it in My Computer) and right click on your connection. Tick the box "Show icon in system tray when connected".

2) It sounds like a system policy has been put in place... If nobody has answered by the time I get home tonight, I'll see if I can figure it out :) (can't do it at work LOL)

Mike.

Jim B
10-01-2003, 10:24 PM
If you have not restored your Dialup connection yet please advise your operating system.

Internet Options
Win 98

1. Open the registry editor (go to Start > Run, type "regedit", and hit return.)
2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Control Panel.
3. To make a specific tab disappear, locate the appropriate entry, such as ProgramsTab, ContentTab, SecurityTab, or AdvancedTab, and set the corresponding value to 1. If you want the tab back, set the value back to 0.
4. If you're missing an entry, add it as a DWORD value and set it equal to 1.
5. If you set every tab to 1, you won't be able to access Internet options until you change one or all values back to 0.
6. These changes take place immediately but can also be immediately reversed.

Win XP

In Windows XP, the Internet Options tabs are controlled by a registry entry at the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Inte rnet Explorer\Control Panel key. Each Value Name is a REG_DWORD data type. A data value of 1 causes the tab to be removed. A data value of 0, or a missing Value Name, causes the tab to be displayed.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Inte rnet Explorer\Control Panel]
"AdvancedTab"=dword:00000001
"SecurityTab"=dword:00000001
"ProgramsTab"=dword:00000001
"ContentTab"=dword:00000001
"PrivacyTab"=dword:00000001
"GeneralTab"=dword:00000001
"ConnectionsTab"=dword:00000001