PDA

View Full Version : Updated Outlook Express

Ferg
10-01-2003, 10:11 AM
Hopefully an easy one for someone out there.....
I was running Outlook Express 5, and just "upgraded" to IE6 which also upgraded me to OE6 at the same time.

Now all my folders I had created and messages (inbox, saved etc) have gone , to be replaced by stuff I had in 1999 at the latest. Anything from that time on has gone. Rather amusing to see my mail from then, but not very helpful.

I suspect that OE5 was storing my files in a different folder, when the upgrade happenned it pointed back to the old folder where my 1999 items are stored (now points to C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express) . I've found out how to point OE to a different folder, but I can't find my most recent folder.

Does anyone know where OE5 was storing it or how to find my old directory. Even knowing the file extension might help.

Cheers

CYaBro
10-01-2003, 10:15 AM
Do a search for files called inbox and look for the latest one then point to that folder.

cyberchuck
10-01-2003, 10:19 AM
Hey
Outlook Express stores the emails in foldername.dbx I think, where Foldername is the name of the folder in Outlook Express

CyberChuck

Ferg
10-01-2003, 12:25 PM
Thanks, I've tried both of those and still can't find any. It seems odd that the upgrade found my old messages, and I lost all my new folders etc.

May be gone for good :-(. That'll teach me not to back up.

Ferg
10-01-2003, 12:35 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED!

I found a solution, seems it is a regular bug, and found the solution here:

"http://www.mindspring.com/~oe_oh/recovering_a_lost_message_store.htm"

Thanks for the quick replies guys.