Any good ones??? Thanks.

-=JM=-
10-01-2003, 01:25 AM
http://www.hotpop.com
http://www.orcon.net.nz

cyberchuck
10-01-2003, 07:01 AM
Hey

This site here (http://www.emailaddresses.com/email_pop.htm) has a list of free Pop3 email servers to choose from

CyberChuck

crozier
10-01-2003, 09:12 AM
I've been using http://www.hotpop.com for ages. It's good for the price, but it can sometimes take several hours for an email to arrive in the inbox.

Yahoo also allows you to use pop3 with the added bonus of webmail if needed too.

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2003, 09:15 AM
Im pretty sure that Yahoo! give you their Pop addresses?! They did last time I used it (Which was, admittedly a while ago..)

Susan B
10-01-2003, 09:41 AM
Hey JM, isn't Orcon's email only web-based? If not, how do you get your emails delivered into OE like you can with Hotmail?

godfather
10-01-2003, 09:47 AM
Orcon is pop3 as well.

smtp.orcon.net.nz
pop3.orcon.net.nz

Login name is the same as web based. Works fine.

Mike
10-01-2003, 10:28 AM
>>> Im pretty sure that Yahoo! give you their Pop addresses

They sure do, and it's been very reliable for me so far, and apart from one occasion several months ago, I've never had spam in it either.

Mike.

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2003, 10:36 AM
> I've never had spam in it either.
>

No, neither! The worst I've gotten is viruses and that's through my hotmail account!

I know people who get TONS of spam!! My friends can sometimes get upto 7-8 message an hour!!

godfather
10-01-2003, 11:33 AM
The only reference I can find on Yahoo is that you need to pay US$24.95 per year to use POP3.

Anyone care to comment?

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2003, 11:36 AM
Yes, Perhaps because the account was setup before those charges were brought on they decided not to charge those already using it.

Then there's the comment on how they might not have blocked existing users..

Or how they might not block anybody, but simply tell you what the address is!

*Goes off to setup yahoo to use POP3*

godfather
10-01-2003, 11:39 AM
Good point C_S, so what is the POP3 addy?

Mike
10-01-2003, 11:48 AM
>>> Good point C_S, so what is the POP3 addy?

pop.mail.yahoo.com
smpt.mail.yahoo.com

I believe this works for ALL Yahoo domains (yahoo.co.nz, yahoo.co.uk, yahoo.com)

Mike.

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2003, 11:50 AM
It depends, who your ISP is, otherwise, its simply:
pop.mail.yahoo.com
and
smtp.mail.yahoo.com

If Mike is still using it, then it must have been only applied to new users, as I cannot get access to it, either that or Yahoo screwed up somewhere :D ;)

I ran a check, and my software diagnosed the servers were correct, but the username/password was invalid or not created.. I think they blocked it thats why :)

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2003, 11:51 AM
>
> I believe this works for ALL Yahoo domains
> (yahoo.co.nz, yahoo.co.uk, yahoo.com)
>

Yup, I tried.co.nz (Which is what mine is...) as well, no joy for me?

So it works for you eh??

Mike
10-01-2003, 11:52 AM
Once you've got your yahoo mail account, log in to check your email, click on "Mail Options" at top right, then select "POP access" (or whatever it says - at the bottom of the middle column of options I think). Then you're given the instructions of how to use your email client to download your Yahoo mail.

Mike.

Mike
10-01-2003, 11:53 AM
>>> So it works for you eh??

It sure does - my domain is none of the above :) but my pop account is set up as something like pop.mail.yahoo.com

Mike.

Mike
10-01-2003, 11:55 AM
>>> but the username/password was invalid or not created..

I've had trouble connecting a few times (like 1 or 2 days in the year I've been with yahoo mail) and that's the error message I get.

Mike

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2003, 11:56 AM
> >>> but the username/password was invalid or not
> created..
>
> I've had trouble connecting a few times (like 1 or 2
> days in the year I've been with yahoo mail) and
> that's the error message I get.
>

Today must be my day :(

godfather
10-01-2003, 11:58 AM
Nope!
This was in my Inbox on Yahoo after an attempt to retrieve the mail via pop3.

You recently attempted to retrieve your Yahoo! Mail messages using a POP3 client such as Outlook Express. Yahoo! Mail no longer provides free POP3 Access or Auto Mail Forwarding to Yahoo! Delivers subscribers.

crozier
10-01-2003, 12:07 PM
That's interesting GF. I've been using Yahoo in OE for ages. I also set up an account for my wife last month and she uses Yahoo POP3 too.

Once logged onto Yahoo mail you have to click Options > POP Access & Forwarding and make sure 'Web and POP Access' is enabled.

godfather
10-01-2003, 12:16 PM
No. Cant access those options unless I pay.
My Yahoo account is VERY old, and with Yahoo.com (although access via yahoo.co.nz is automatic).

I wonder what the secret is, or if its a rolling change that has not yet affected everyone.

Mike
10-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Just set up a brand new Yahoo account (using false name etc. :D) and the option is still there:

Web and POP Access
I want to read my Yahoo! Mail in my browser, AND also access my messages from any email program (such as Eudora, Outlook, or Netscape Mail) using POP3. With POP3 Access, your mail will be delivered to your Yahoo! Mail account. You may choose to read your messages on the Yahoo! web site, or download them using your desktop email program, (such as Eudora, Outlook, or Netscape Mail).

However it seems the pop/smtp addresses are localised - this new account is a yahoo.co.nz account (it chose that for me), and the pop/smtp addresses are as follows

pop.mail.yahoo.com.au
smtp.mail.yahoo.com.au

But the option is definitely still there, and for new free users.

Mike.

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2003, 12:50 PM
Hey hey hey!

All you've gotta do is add a tick to that box that Mike mentioned and you're away :)

Might have to start using yahoo mail more coz I dunno hotmail's pop and smtp settings or whateve :)

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Bugger, I can send, but not receive!

Any ideas why mike?

godfather
10-01-2003, 01:01 PM
Thanks Mike

Done that - and I see the minor catch, you accept spam by default, but thats OK.
It never gave me a choice of a .nz by the way, its a .au.

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Hmm.. Mine just gave me a .co.nz :(

Can you send?

Mike
10-01-2003, 01:08 PM
>>> Done that - and I see the minor catch, you accept spam by default, but thats OK.

Just remove all the ticks from the Spam choices and you shouldn't get any - I never have (apart from that one random one a few months ago).

I said during the sign-up that I was in New Zealand, so it made the email address at yahoo.co.nz, but the pop address was at yahoo.com.au

Mike.

Mike
10-01-2003, 01:09 PM
>>> Bugger, I can send, but not receive!
>>> Any ideas why mike?

Remove the 3 :) pop.mail.yahoo.com.au, not pop3.mail.yahoo.com.au :D

Mike.

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2003, 01:14 PM
> >>> Bugger, I can send, but not receive!
> >>> Any ideas why mike?
>
> Remove the 3 :) pop.mail.yahoo.com.au,
> not pop3.mail.yahoo.com.au :D
>
>

Whoops.. Musta put it in wrong... I can GET my message FROM yahoo.. but cant send them (Im trying a test message to my hotmail account).

Sorry :8}

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2003, 01:17 PM
This is what Yahoo have to say:
Some ISPs don't allow their users to send messages with other companies' SMTP outgoing mail servers.

If you've set the "Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server" field in Yahoo! Mail to smtp.mail.yahoo.com and find that you can receive but can't send messages, you may have to use your ISP server's address, rather than Yahoo!'s. Please contact your ISP for the SMTP server address to enter.
If this is not what you needed to know, check out our Online Help Desk. Visit it any time by logging into your Yahoo! Mail account and clicking on the "Help" link located in the upper right-hand corner.

Why does hotmail work in Outlook Express then? Is it coz its not SMTP?

Jim B
10-01-2003, 09:53 PM
This is true, if you try to send mail through an outgoing server address that is not the same as the ISP you have dialed in and connected with you will get a relaying denied message.
The smtp server address must be the address of the ISP you have connected with.
It is quite acceptable to have the POP server and SMTP server addresses for different ISP's configured.
Any ISP who runs an open relay is likely to be blacklisted and you won't find any NZ ISP'S allowing this.

I believe the issue doesn't arise with Hotmail in OE because this uses an HTTP server.

godfather
10-01-2003, 11:10 PM
Well, it works via Orcon and Yahoo, via Xtra.
I would have said the same though, and was surprised.

Susan B
11-01-2003, 08:57 AM
> Orcon is pop3 as well.
>
> smtp.orcon.net.nz
> pop3.orcon.net.nz
>
> Login name is the same as web based. Works fine.

Done it. Thanks godfather. :-)

Jim B
11-01-2003, 09:00 AM
Info from Yahoo site as a matter of interest.
The Yahoo mail SMTP server now requires authentication to be able to send mail.
You must select "My server requires authentication" in OE servers, or in NS specify a username for the smtp server.
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/po

Relaying Denied messages.

There can be some exceptions to getting a relaying denied message if you are sending to a local server address and not a non-local one.
A mail server will produce a "Relaying Denied" error when an unauthorized user attempts to send non-local email through the server. Non-local email is email which is addressed to a different server.

To use a mail server, you must prove to the mail server that you are authorized to send email.

* The sender of the email must be a user on the server. This corresponds to the "Sender:" field on the "Headers" branch.

* The "From:" email header should be a user on the server.

* This error can sometimes be circumvented by first checking for incoming email. Some servers are smart enough to recognize that when you are properly authenticated to receive mail, then you should also be able to send mail.

* If you still can't send mail use the SMTP server address of the ISP you are connected with.

Mark Veldhuizen
11-01-2003, 09:29 AM
And if your using AOL?

Clueless
11-01-2003, 09:45 AM
> Hey JM, isn't Orcon's email only web-based? If not,
> how do you get your emails delivered into OE like you
> can with Hotmail?

Live and learn... wow orcons free pop mail is also webbased!

Thanks Susan!

.Clueless

Jim B
11-01-2003, 10:09 AM
AOL uses AOL mail. POP3/SMTP is an Internet protocol developed by the designers of the Internet.
In otherwords, AOL has no POP3 or SMTP servers.

When AOL purchased Netscape, Netscape Mail suddenly learned how to send and receive AOL mail. If you configure Netscape 6 or 7 Mail to check your AOL account, you may have noticed that the server address is imap.mail.aol.com. Don't bother trying use that address into Outlook Express or Eudora--it won't work.

AOL's servers don't comply with the IMAP standard, and Netscape Mail is the only e-mail program (other than AOL's own software) that knows how to talk to those servers. If you're determined to get AOL mail in Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, or an older version of Netscape Communicator, check out ENetBot Mail agent

Similarly, Microsoft Passport's Hotmail service seems to work only with that company's own e-mail programs. If you want to send and receive Hotmail messages using Eudora or Netscape Mail, you'll need another $20 add-on mail agent called Pop3Hot.
Yahoo Mail lets you send and receive mail using its standard POP3 and SMTP servers (pop.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com, respectively), but it won't work until you sign up for the Yahoo Delivers targeted-marketing (spam) service. To enable the "service," click the Options link after logging in to Yahoo Mail, and then choose the link labeled POP Access & Forwarding.