PDA

View Full Version : Really Strange Error Message...

promethius
09-01-2003, 10:17 PM
I was saving a document in Word (97), and I wanted to see what else was in the folder that I was saving it to, so I set the file name to "*", and pressed enter, then I got the message

"You do not have access to the folder 'C:\Documents and Settings\OEM USER\Desktop\music\*'. See your administrator for access to this folder."

That is really weird coz I have all the administrative rights......

cyberchuck
10-01-2003, 07:14 AM
Hey

I don't have XP or 2000 so I can't try it to see if I get the same results. However, what I find strange is the fact that Word thought \music\* was a folder (unless you have a folder in \music called *), as in most cases it would've looked for a document called *.doc and tried to open it

If your looking at directory browsing in programs though, use *.* and not * as *.* will give you a full list by displaying anything and everything in that folder (under most circumstances)

CyberChuck

promethius
10-01-2003, 04:58 PM
....hmmmm, usually jus * works, but thanks anyway...

Graham L
10-01-2003, 05:07 PM
It's called syntax.

The "wild card" name "*" matches any name with no extension. That will "usually" be directory names. "*.*" matches any name with any extension. That's how DOS does it, so the new Windows will have carried on that behaviour.

In *nix, "*" will match anything. The "dot" in *nix" filenames is just a character, although it is usually used to separate parts of a name.