PDA

View Full Version : files wont open on written cd...then computer too

csinclair83
09-01-2003, 04:37 PM
Hey Guys :D
I'm writing regarding a experience i had 2 months ago or something..but..i wanna do it again..

I got a few full version games off a friend but he wnated the cds back so i coped the whole cd...so it was playable off the computer.......but then i decided to put it on cd..so i can have more space...so on the cd it went...and it was still playable on the computer without cd...so i went and tried the cd onto the other computer (win 98) this game was made to play on win98..so i guessed it would work..so i went and tried (on the old computer) but it says cd is stuffed...wont even find the cd...so i came back to my new computer (running xphome) and weirdly..it says the same thing..and i went "phew just as well i have it on puta" but..that night i decided to play it..and it says files not found....and that really made me mad...and i was put off writing cds for a while coz yeah mmm..
And now yesterday my cd with nortons 2002 on it got smashed...had brothers friends here and i was sorting out cds into cases and he decided to run around me and sadly stood on cds...(i learnt not to do it on the floor nemore)...but....luckly i had it on computer...((for some weird reason i put my important cds fully onto computer..in a file so yeah))....and it brought memories back to what happened with the game...
SOOOO...what can i do to endure that the espidode with the game not happen again?..

I use winxp home...
and i use prassiprimodvd (cdwriter program)...

I'll happyily download Nero5..if its the most recommened easier to use program without problems...

Hope someone can help...

SOrry its long...hope i havent left any details out

Lohsing
09-01-2003, 05:09 PM
A few "full versioned games" .... So you tried to pirate them? Basically what you're saying is you want to be able to copy them, right?

Sorry dude. Wrong forum. Don't think PF1 is the right sort of place to be condoning software piracy. And FWIW, Nero wouldn't be able to copy "copy protected games" either, so downloading it wouldn't be of much use to you.

Lo.

csinclair83
09-01-2003, 09:01 PM
whats the difference between copying them and backing them up?..ur still gonna use it sometime?....

Also...piratey..i thought that is only when u copy with the intention of selling..or making profits...when its not ur "stuff"....

And whats the difference between downloading software for free and downloading music for free which i am pretty sure quite alot of pressf1 users do..i dont coz i dont even listen 2 music...

caffy
09-01-2003, 09:05 PM
true good point,

i too see a lot of people downloading songs onto cds, as well as programs and all that, whats the difference??

Lohsing
10-01-2003, 03:08 AM
> whats the difference between copying them and backing
> them up?..ur still gonna use it sometime?....
>
> Also...piratey..i thought that is only when u copy
> with the intention of selling..or making
> profits...when its not ur "stuff"....

So you're telling me you own the discs? I thought you said they were your friend's?

Lo.

cyberchuck
10-01-2003, 06:57 AM
Hey

The reason you aren't able to run the games off CD's may be because some games use Registry tweaks telling the registry where the path is (chosen during setup) to the game, and therefore if you just moved the files over to the CD, then you've altered that path.
Also, be aware that some games are very fussy about where you can save games of theirs - most will only let you save into a specific folder that the game has made so it's easy for the game to find them all. So if the games are on CD's then you can't save your game unless you write to the CD

If you plan on making a CD of Norton it'll require a lot of patience, as Norton saves to locations other than it's installation folder. For example it has quite a few registry tweaks and some stuff saved in the Application Data (C:\Windows\Application Data\...) folder.

What I would reccomend you did instead of trying to make a new Norton CD is backup your entire HDD (including Registry) onto disks, and use that to restore your computer should you ever need to. Otherwise you could try Norton Ghost to make a ghost image of your HDD - although both don't directly solve your problem, atleast if you need to format your computer do to a problem you've got a copy of Norton (either way) and you won't have to spend ages reconfiguring your computer

CyberChuck