PDA

View Full Version : stay put

Potto
09-01-2003, 04:30 PM
Hi,
I'm a fairly newcomer to the pc world, and I thought I was doing pretty good until I came up with this problem.
Everytime I turn the computer on, this Strip Player icon appears on the desktop and the taskbar. I delete it to the recycle bin, and then it says I have to go to the add-remove section to uninstall it. Once I'm there, it says it doesn't exist or is corrupted, although it's on the list with all the others. Next thing, this strip setup starts downloading by itself. It sure is a bit frustrating.
Hoping you can help out,
Kind regards,
Potto.

honeylaser
09-01-2003, 04:36 PM
Perhaps try going to your local drive i.e c:\program files, and see if it has a folder in there which contains an uninstall shield? Doing a quick Google (http://www.google.com) search leads me to believe that Strip Player is an xxx spyware program (see here (http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/StripPlayer.html)), in which case you could download Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com) and run a scan to remove the program from your system.

honeylaser
09-01-2003, 04:40 PM
Oh - removal instructions from the site I linked to:

"Open the registry (Start->Run->regedit) and delete the following keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActiveStripSetup.EGStripDownload
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActiveStripSetup.EGStripDownload .1
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E3F7205F-2AE0-4BF0-816B-2D24A5F20EC7}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{357AA41A-B7A8-4632-A27D-5B980B25CF43}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{BC23F736-C5BE-47FB-B459-1757933E5DF3}

Then open the System folder (in the Windows folder, 'System32' under Windows XP/2000/NT, or 'System' under Windows Me/98/95), and delete the ActiveStripSetup.dll file.

To remove the dialler itself, delete the folder 'C:\Program Files\strip-player' and any links to it on the desktop and/or Start menu.

Finally, if you fell victim to the exploit used to load StripPlayer automatically, you will need to remove Electronic Group from your trusted publishers, or they will still be able to install their software in the future. Check the registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\WinTrust\Trust Providers\Software Publishing\Trust Database\0

for an entry with the value 'Electronic Group'. Delete it if it exists, if so, patching/updating IE is probably a very good idea.

You can also go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertifi cates\
TrustedPublisher\Certificates

and delete Electronic Group's key. It should begin '08F573...'. "

Potto
10-01-2003, 06:59 PM
Hi Honeylaser,
Thanks for answering my question, but I'm afraid I can't get it to work.
I got down ti the HKEY CLASSES ROOT< but there was nothing there that resembled what you had typed out about StripSetUp etc.. I then tried the System Folder, and the reply was that there was nothing to display.Maybe I don't know enough about computers yet, (what do you reckon eh.?) The system I've got is Windows Me.

honeylaser
11-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Have you tried running Ad-Aware? That might do a better job of tracking down the program files for the nasty thing..

Potto
13-01-2003, 03:35 PM
Well, I downloaded the Ad-Aware setup and scanned everything, but the problem still exists. I'm thinking I'll have to get a computer technician to come down here and try to fix it hands on.
Thanks alot for all your help though.

Potto.