PDA

View Full Version : DDR RAM

Blue_face
09-01-2003, 03:42 PM
I have a 256mb PC266 DDR RAM, and i want to add more. Can I use with these pc2100/pc2700 DDR RAMS without decrease performances? I dont know what these numbers means. Are they faster or what?

Stormwarden
09-01-2003, 04:00 PM
where are you getting your "PC266" from?

do you mean that it runs at 266MHz DDR?, if so, that means it's equivalent to PC2100

333MHz DDR is the same as PC2700, and is slightly faster than PC2100.

If you have a free ram slot (you'll have to look inside the case) then you should be able to put in another module of either type, and it should go fine. You can put in a 512MB module with your 256MB module as well - the differing sizes dont matter.

if you put in PC2700 with a PC2100 module, i think that both of them will run at the speed of the slowest module, unless your mobo supports asynchronous ram frequencies (which i've never personally seen before).

If you do, in fact, have PC2100, putting in another module of either definately won't decrease performance. Rather it will increase it. :)

cyberchuck
09-01-2003, 04:08 PM
>
> If you do, in fact, have PC2100, putting in another
> module of either definately won't decrease
> performance. Rather it will increase it. :)

I thought they simply sync'd to the speed of the slowest one in the machine?!

the above is a reply from Chilling_Silence, however due to the fact he was having problems replying to this thread, yours truely did it for him instead

CyberChuck

Blue_face
09-01-2003, 04:37 PM
Thats what it says on the invoice, and i think that you are correct stormwarden, thanks very much. Thats all I need to know. :) Thanks for helping.

Lohsing
09-01-2003, 05:12 PM
Careful though... if you are running Win 98SE, it will have problems running anything more than 512mb of ram. I had to reinstall using Win2k Pro to be able to get the 1gig I wanted.

Even tweaking it the VCache etc left me with problems, so best to just use a newer OS.

Lo.