PDA

View Full Version : Displaying Korean in Subject in email in Outlook

Dunno Anon
09-01-2003, 02:18 PM
Hi

I hope someone can help me with this. Is it possible to display the subject of an email that was composed in Korean as Korean using Outlook 2002? By this I mean I can see the email message is in Korean, but the subject line and the From headings are all jumbled symbols. I have the various Korean language options for Windows XP running but it does not seem to do anything with the 'From' and 'Subject' headings.

Can anyone please help?

Billy T
09-01-2003, 05:01 PM
Hi Dunno

I use Outlook 2000 and often receive emails from friends in Korea. When I open each one, a box opens inviting me to download a Korean language module to allow correct display. Have you seen this when your email opens?

I don't download it because I don't read Korean but I get all the crazy symbols instead, just like you do.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Dunno Anon
10-01-2003, 07:45 AM
Hi Billy

I have the Korean language module so the main body of the email is fine. I just get the garbled symbols on the From and Subject headings (boxes) in Outlook. This is why I am confused - the main body displays OK but the From and Subject headings don't....

cyberchuck
10-01-2003, 08:51 AM
Hey

Select an email that isn't fully Korean so that the message appears in the preview window, and then right click on it and left click options. It should say something that says "Internet headers" down the bottom and this is the bit I am looking for. Down the bottom of the internet header will be something that looks like this
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 20:52:04 +1300 (NZDT)
Message-Id: <#messageID>
To: your@email.com
Subject: Subject
With the following substitutions
friend@email.com = your friends email address
#messageID = your friends Mail servers message ID
your@email.com = your email
and Subject = subject

Now if the Internet headers are in English, then this will explain why as the headders are been sent in English and therefore your email client will read the details straight off the MIME Headers. As there are so many different languages, MIME headers default to English to send to save Mail Clients the hassle of trying to translate them.

CyberChuck

cyberchuck
10-01-2003, 08:53 AM
2 More things:
The Date will be changed to whenever your friend sent his message and converted to whatever time is used on your computer (which would be NZDT - New Zealand Daylight Time)
And I have been getting all this from Outlook XP which may be different from Outlook 2002 - although I very much doubt it.

CyberChuck

Dunno Anon
10-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Thanks Cyberchuck - I will try those when I get home.

BTW:Outlook XP and 2002 are one and the same....

cyberchuck
10-01-2003, 08:59 AM
Thanks...
I just learnt my thing for the day.. now I can go back to bed till tomorrow :D

CyberChuck

rayonline
10-01-2003, 01:12 PM
not sure with WinXP
with win2k is u go to ... control panel - > region and install a extra language. i did jap, chinese trad/simplify.
i jus checked korean is there too....
do a IE help search for langauges...

Ray

rayonline
10-01-2003, 01:16 PM
u can get a small program that works in the background too....
forget the name thou