PDA

View Full Version : problem with Windows XP update

colmack
09-01-2003, 07:11 AM
I posted this recently: when I try to use Windows Update I get the message: 'Cannot display the page. The page you are trying to view cannot be displayed because the server it resides on does not respond. Please try again later.'
Thanks to the people who responded to the effect 'Try again now - it's working' etc, but this is missing my point. I don't think it's because I'm trying at the wrong time; I'm sure it's something else. I've tried repeatedly over several days, at all hours, including as soon as those replies were posted - but all I EVER get is the above message.

cyberchuck
09-01-2003, 07:16 AM
Hey

You could always try and get Windows Update to automatically receive updates for your computer from the internet and see if that works?

CyberChuck

Jim B
09-01-2003, 08:45 AM
Post the URL you are trying to access so we can check it.

It might be a good idea to clean out IE
Tools/Internet options

Temporary Internet files: Select Delete Files
Put a tick in the box "Delete all offline content"
Click on OK

History: click on Clear History

Try Ctrl+F5 to refresh the page, it might be trying to load cached info.

It is also important for everyone to be aware that programs such as web accelerators, popup stoppers etc which are installed are likely to cause complications with loading some web sites at times.

Zone Alarm is another program which causes big problems for people who are not familiar with the settings and options available in it and if you are having problems with web or mail disable this to check if the problem disappears.

crozier
09-01-2003, 09:01 AM
I'm guessing that you use a modem to connect to the internet? If so, it could be caused by a really slow connection. What connection speeds are you using? Does browsing the internet etc work OK?

Also try as Cyberchuck says and configure windows to automatically download updates. Because this connects to the server in a different way it may do the trick.