PDA

View Full Version : 10%of my MS Laser Mice Lasers "DIE"

sc0ut
08-01-2003, 11:24 PM
My work bout 30 new P4 computers (real gaming machines) and some of the mice are dieing
The computers are about 3months old and some of the Microsoft Intelli Mice are screwed
After a few hours the lasers die to almost nothing and there is no response at all, the way we fix it is by unplugging it and re-plugging it into the USB port again

They are still under warranty but I was wondering if any one else is having the same problem

P.S
It is the mice and not the mother boards because I try is on different computers

godfather
08-01-2003, 11:36 PM
If the lasers were truly"dying" unplugging and replugging wouldnt work.

First thought, are the USB ports capable of the sustained load of the mouse (is it the port shutting down and not the mouse?)

When you blame the laser, is the light underneath the mouse going out (the high output LED) ? I assume this is happening when you say they "die to almost nothing". I wonder if the faulty ones have gone "high drain" for some reason.

This sounds as though the port could be shutting down the +5volt line, especially if it comes right after unplugging and replugging?

sc0ut
08-01-2003, 11:50 PM
I know its something to do with the mice and not the USB port it also happens in PS2, and when I use the mouse on other computers it still cuts out

And the laser doesn’t die it dulls down to about 10% of what it should be shinning at. Its like plugging a light bulb into a small battery when it runs on a car battery

Chilling_Silence
09-01-2003, 01:15 PM
Have you tried a USB > PS2 adapter for the mice??

godfather
09-01-2003, 01:16 PM
Read the post Chilling?

>it also happens in PS2

so that isolates it to the mouse.

Chilling_Silence
09-01-2003, 01:23 PM
> Read the post Chilling?
>
> >it also happens in PS2

..Musta missed that part.. Soz :8}

antmannz
09-01-2003, 01:31 PM
I thought this was a normal function of those mice. If the mouse isn't being moved around, the LED powers down until detects movement again. So sounds to me like the mouse is not "waking up". Maybe check your power management settings?

roofus
09-01-2003, 01:48 PM
I agree with antmannz

godfather
09-01-2003, 02:00 PM
Good point. My A4tech mouse does a similar thing, after 1 second of no movement it goes to low brilliance.

It leaves the question unanswered as to why unplugging/plugging restores it, and why the problem moves with the mouse to another PC.

I hate advocating "drivers" as a panacea, but I wonder if the correct ones are loaded?

roofus
09-01-2003, 05:38 PM
A long shot could be that. The computer is not in use. It goes into standby mode which frezees the mouse. Therefore it no longer works.
Removing the plug and then replacing it alerts the system that something has been installed and therefore redetects it.
THis was a common problem with PS2s and serial mice but that was in win95

Graham L
09-01-2003, 06:06 PM
I have just picked up a MS "Wheel Mouse Optical USB and PS/2 Compatible". The Library here has installed these as standard, and they seem to last pretty well. The front LED stays at full brightness. The bottom one, which is the one which does the work, dims when it isn't being moved. It brights up immediately the mouse is moved. The current rating is "5V 100 mA", so it should be OK on a USB port with the "standard" 500 mA available. ;-)

sc0ut
09-01-2003, 08:58 PM
these mice have 3 settings
Bright
Standby
and Almost dead

it goes to almost dead when it is being used and i have never had them die when i come back to the PC. It may just be a defected batch but.... yea {too erly in the morning to think for me}

roofus
10-01-2003, 07:27 AM
Your computers are 3 months old. Ring up your supplier/support tell him your problem and maybe he has a solution. Otherwise he's gonna have to take all those PC's back and make them work