PDA

View Full Version : swapping win98s exporer.exe with XPs explorer.exe

forrest44
08-01-2003, 06:23 PM
I was wondering wether this is posible: swap over the explorer.exe files from windows XP to windows 98SE so that I get an XP style GUI? It says shell=explorer.exe in the system.ini file. Anyway what is the shell32.dll file? would I need to swap that to?

Forrest.

godfather
08-01-2003, 06:33 PM
Explorer (and Internet Explorer) is tightly bound into the Windows system files.
Feel free to do it, but you will have to reinstall Windows to get the PC working again.
You will also loose most of the applications installed and need to reinstall them from scratch also.

cyberchuck
08-01-2003, 06:37 PM
Hey

shell32.dll is a Dynamic Link Library (dll), that contains the Windows Icons for stuff like My Computer, the Start Menu, etc, and therefore it is required to get the XP Icons, however, you cannot copy this file straight over from PC to PC (as I have tried with WinME and 95) as Windows realizes that it is not the correct DLL file and asks to reinstall it

explorer.exe should therefore work in the same way. The only way it would work is if your going from Windows 98SE to Windows 98SE (which defeats the whole purpose of it)

If you are looking for an XP theme, then may I suggest looking for one on the internet?? http://download.cnet.com has a few (off memory), otherwise why not go and purchase a legal copy of XP and then you can get XP all you want..

Alternatively, if you do not wish to dish out money for XP then you could convert to Lycoris Linux (Chilling_Silence has an excellent review on it here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=29867&message=122199&q=Lycoris#122199) and as it is based on Windows, it shouldn't be that hard to use. You can get a copy of it from the Australian PC User Collectors Pack 2002

CyberChuck

mcatley
09-01-2003, 12:36 AM
I agree with godfather if you are going to try it do it on a pc which you are not primarily using. Its probibly also (if you do manage to pull it off) ilegal. I wouldnt nor recomend anyone to try it coz it has a 99.9 recuring % chance of screwing your system. Expect to need to reinstall windows from scratch