PDA

View Full Version : XP indications of hard drive disk space

colmack
08-01-2003, 01:42 PM
When I go to 'Information About My Computer' via the Start menu it tells me, correctly, that I have 37.24 GB of hard disk space, yet when I go to 'My Computer' and double-click on 'Local Disk (C)' and open Properties, it tells me that the total capacity - the sum of used space and free space - is only 9.75 GB. Why the difference? I would have expected these two figures to be the same. I'm running Windows XP.

-=JM=-
08-01-2003, 02:26 PM
Where abouts is the 'Information About My Computer' thing, I can't seem to find it.

Are you using partitions. One may be the space on C: the other maybe the HDDs space.

colmack
08-01-2003, 06:29 PM
Start - Help and Support - Use Tools to view... (4th option under 'pick a task) - My Computer Information (first option on left) - view general system information (first option on right)

I'm not using partitions as far as I know (I'm a newbie at the computer is as it is when I bought it, I haven't done anything)

-=JM=-
08-01-2003, 08:37 PM
hmmmm somehow I've knackered the help and support button on my installation :(

tommy
08-01-2003, 09:01 PM
In My Computer under Hard Disks is there just a C: drive or is there also a D: (and maybe E:) as well?

Big John
08-01-2003, 09:38 PM
You probably have more than one partition. One is reporting the size of the actual HDD and the other is reporting the actual size of the C: partition which is only part of that drive