PDA

View Full Version : Cd rom Icon loss

effie C
08-01-2003, 12:54 PM
Hi - I am not sure what happened but I posted a query 1 hour ago and there is no record of it
Can anybody tell me why when I have a "typical microsoft freeze" - I lose the Icon denoting my Cd drive - in my case E drive - I use win 98SE , 500Mhz cpu and have 8 gb h/d
A friend has these illogical freezes but he does not lose his Icon
Effie C

godfather
08-01-2003, 01:21 PM
When you say you lose the Icon, I assume its the entire drive disappears from File Explorer?

If this is the case, and it occurs after a "freeze" (lock-up?) then it could be that there is a connection problem or other problem with the IDE cable or the drive itself, causing the "freeze"?

I am puzzled though, as a freeze normally requires a reboot, and I assume that on rebooting your CD Rom is visible again, so how would you know it had gone? If you follow my meaning.

I guess we need more details, such as OS etc, and if the PC recovers from the freeze by itself, if the Icon returns by itself or only after a reboot etc.

Chilling_Silence
08-01-2003, 02:47 PM
What happens if you eject the CD thats in there (If there is one) and insert a CD that autoloads something, most MS products do, or a PCW CD!

effie C
08-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Hi godfather- no my freezes are permanent!!!! a re boot is the only way to carry on - the icon has thus disappeared from the window"my computer", and even if a CD is put into the drive - nothing happens.
A reboot-sometimes - just sometimes, re instates it - but only after I press F8 on the required startup sequence- I hear the drive boot up , but even then when the final workbench is appearing - I hear the drive cut out - AND there is no Icon .
Yet another reboot and withdraw the Cd just before the final screen - help?
pleaseeee?
effie c

Chilling_Silence
08-01-2003, 03:31 PM
I am gonna agree with godfather and say check your IDE cables and other such things are inserted snugly inside your PC case!

Try that and see how it goes.

godfather
08-01-2003, 03:33 PM
I would start with making sure that all cables (particularly the flat IDE one) are plugged in at both ends on the CD drive. Its possible that the lockup is originating from the drive having an intermittent connection?

effie C
08-01-2003, 03:35 PM
Hi Chilling_silence- good name- see reply to Gadfather -
---- if I withdraw the win 98Se CD just before the workbench is formed - then - sometimes I get the Icon back
I also wonder whether instead of a re start , whether I got success by "shut down" and re starting after the h/d drive goes quiet. I am not sure of this - one gets very brassed off in trying the "permanent " solution and as old as I am I forget which one succeeded best
effie c

effie C
08-01-2003, 03:42 PM
Hi godfather
I crawled around the back and all external "flat" plugs are well screwed in - so I assume I go into the computer case? ouch!!!!! - with me and my big fingers - what sort of mess will I create?
I rather like your suggestion - this "freeze" is so unpredictable- I have been caught playing "Freecell" crib, Scrabble- non is the sole program that causes this
effie c

godfather
08-01-2003, 04:01 PM
Yes, its inside the case. The CD Drive has 3 cables plugged into it from the rear.

One has 4 wires and is the power connector. You didnt mention but I assume the power stays on or else you couldnt access the drive drawer. Press the cable in anyway. The other end goes to the power supply, so dont worry about that.

The second is a wide flat grey cable, about 3 inches wide and very flat (ribbon cable). Its actually 40 wires in a flat package of insulation. It plugs into the middle of the CD drive at the back. This is the one I would suspect most.

It has a plug on the end (or it could be the plug is part way along the cable, as the cable may continue along to the hard disk)

Press this into the back of the CD drive securely. The other end that goes to the "motherboard" of the computer (the big printed circuit board) should also be pressed firmly in. It will plug into the motherboard close to where a similat cable goes to the floppy disk drive.

The third cable is a very thin one, and connects the audio. No need to worry about that as it would not cause your problem.

I have seen situations several times where these cables can become partially unpligged.

There is nothing to be worried about in the internals. Just make sure the PC is powered down, and turn the wall switch off.

Chilling_Silence
08-01-2003, 04:05 PM
>
> I have seen situations several times where these
> cables can become partially unpligged.
>

Usually this can be caused by moving the PC around, incorrectly sized cables (too small, very marginal and uncommon), loose fans that might be rattling the case, and other things, such as the case being hit in frustration :D

As godfather said, its not a biggy though, and you should be fine :)

effie C
08-01-2003, 04:09 PM
Thank you Godfather - you have been a help in the past- I will attempt to do that which you suggest, after the day's computering- especially chess( I have 30 odd games going at once)- and incidently had a freeze while doing that - so you may just have put your finger on it - I sure hope so.
The computer is otherwise working well and as one of my past "hats" was as a vehicle inspector - where if say a light was not going - "if it's there it's got to work- the same goes for this machine- it IS there and as such it should ruddy well work!
I shall be in touch
effie c

effie C
08-01-2003, 05:07 PM
Hi Godfather & Chilling_silence,
Well I am back - and whiter haired than I was ( and that is something) there were no loose connections that I could detect - I printed out all 4 pages on this so as to have a guideline.
Gee I would hate to state that I know what each and everything is- Anyway I still show my drive Icon on the reboot up,so all I can do now is try and (t)error and see if there was even a fraction of looseness, that could have caused this - I don't really think so but I was that nervous anything could happen- I tested everything that even looked like a removable (?) connection - even checked the audio cable, mains - you name it, as you described- needed or not.
Thank you people- as MacArthur once said " I shall return"
Effie C

Chilling_Silence
08-01-2003, 06:40 PM
Removable Connection? What is this? Could you describe it?

godfather
08-01-2003, 06:42 PM
> Removable Connection? What is this? Could you
> describe it?

He means everything looking like a plug or socket.

Well done effie C, it will eliminate one cause anyway.

Chilling_Silence
08-01-2003, 06:47 PM
> > Removable Connection? What is this? Could you
> > describe it?
>
> He means everything looking like a plug or socket.
>

:D
Silly me, I should have figured that one ;)