PDA

View Full Version : windows XP update failure

colmack
08-01-2003, 09:10 AM
I have just bought a new computer, with XP. The first time I tried windows update, it took 2 hours to download (!!!) then total failure to install anything. In every subsequent attempt - and there have been many - after the 'Connecting...' message I get an error message which states: 'Cannot display the page The page you are trying to view cannot be displayed because the server it resides on does not respond. Please try again later.' I would appreciate any help!

crozier
08-01-2003, 09:24 AM
This seems to happen with Windows Update Centre every now an then. The clue to the poblem is in 'Cannot display the page The page you are trying to view cannot be displayed because the server it resides on does not respond. Please try again later.' Later can mean two or three days.

I'm guessing that you use a modem to connect to the internet? If so, it could be caused by a slow connection. What connection speeds are you using? Does browsing the internet etc work OK?

godfather
08-01-2003, 09:28 AM
The server was indeed unavailable yesterday when I tried.
Today I note it is working, I am downloading updates at the moment.

It is Microsoft's server in the US, so absolutely nothing you can do about it.

colmack
08-01-2003, 09:38 AM
thanks for the responses so far... but I just tried again with the same lack of success

Elephant
08-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Try again now. Worked for me as from 5.15 p.m.

WinXP Pro.