PDA

View Full Version : How to open file ending with .str

csinclair83
07-01-2003, 11:51 PM
I have a new program on my computer and i saved a doc with it..and clicked on it to open and it cant find program...and i went to web to find it...but page wont open ...grr microsoft..
can neone help?

i use winxp home
program is
key creative stationery

Merlin
08-01-2003, 12:04 AM
STR= DataPerfect Structure File
STR= Gate3 table structure file
STR= Screensaver file
STR= Stream File Playstation Discs
STR= dBASE Application Generator : Structure list object file

key creative stationery - a high quality program in the top 2000 of it's category?

csinclair83
08-01-2003, 12:05 AM
i dont know if its a high quality program..

i was using it to make a invitation...like a document...

where can i download anything that can open str files?

Merlin
08-01-2003, 12:37 AM
Contact the software manufacturer, or
DTP on a WP is a POC

which for the uninitiated is: desktop publishing on a word processor is a piece of cake

E.ric
08-01-2003, 12:43 AM
what happens if you right click and send file to a program like "wordpad" ?

you might have to set up the right click

1. Right click the "Start" button
2. Click on to "Explore".
3. Open the "Send To" folder normally "C:\windows\SendTo" or "C:\windows\ShellNew\SendTo"
4 . Right click inside the folder on the white space below were the files are listed and select "New".
5. Follow instruction & browse for "wordpad" on your computer

csinclair83
08-01-2003, 09:50 AM
Aint word pad like notepad..that it has no colour and all?
as my invitation is like full colour and fancy stuff?

tommy
08-01-2003, 10:16 AM
If you are wanting to create children's stationery this site (http://www.billybear4kids.com/holidays/birthday/party.htm) allows you to make cards to print out.

csinclair83
08-01-2003, 10:18 AM
I only wanna create 1 or 2 invitations one page only...for emailing...

Ludwig
08-01-2003, 10:48 AM
Going from the product name you mention [key creative stationery], it could be a product sold by Dick Smith .. now noted as "reduced to clear". Have a look on http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3e1b4aec027e5dce273fc0a87f9906e9/Product/View/XS7560 where the XS7560 is their product catalog number (& they spell stationery wrong!).

Can you find the program on your Start Menu somewhere? If so, open the program first, then get it to open the file.

csinclair83
08-01-2003, 10:51 AM
well..it opens the program but when i wnat to send it to a friend thru email..they dont have the program?
thats y i was wondering how i could get them 2 open it...

yeah i got it from dicks smith

Graham L
08-01-2003, 02:20 PM
Having produced it on your screen, Copy it to the clipboard. (Or Screen dump, or can you "Save As" some standard file type?). Open Paint, and paste it. Send it as a BMP or GIF. Don't send proprietary files to people, if you want them to be able to read/view them. :D

Heather P
08-01-2003, 02:44 PM
There are a couple of ways to open a file:

- One is to open the program and then the file.

- The second is to click on the file name in something like Explorer. This checks the file extension in it's table of file names, says "Ha ha, this program here is supposed to open this file type" and promptly opens the program and then the file.

The first way always works (subject to non-corruption of file or incompatible versions - eg trying to open a Word 2000 doc with Word ver 5).

The second way should work IF the program set itself up properly in the OS table (some don't). If it didn't - check the FAQs. I think, from memory, that one of them may say how to set up file associations to programs.

As for sending files over the web - take care. The only files guaranteed to open on other people's machines are .gifs, .jpgs and .html files. (.txt may work - not sure if they will open on a Mac though).

Will this program allow you to convert the file to a gif or a jpg? If not you will have to copy it to a program that will allow you to do so and save it in one of the above formats.

tommy
08-01-2003, 03:49 PM
For future reference if you want to create a card, invitation, etc to send by email it is quite easy to do so by using Outlook Express stationery. It helps if you know a bit of HTML so that you can edit the code when you need to. Better still learn HTML anyway and create your own webpage to send that or its link by email - provided that the recipients are able to received HTML emails of course.