PDA

View Full Version : Linux: modprobe - cannot locate module error

Jen C
07-01-2003, 10:31 PM
I have just installed Lycoris and while the installation went smoothly it would not let me eject the installation CD from the drive.

I did try right-clicking on the CD drive and selecting eject, but nothing happened. I also tried the paper clip method and that didn't work either. I then tried shutting the system down and managed to open and grab the CD out during that process.

During shut down I saw the following messages:

mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device

/dev/sr0 is write protected mounting read only

It then continued until this message:

unmounting file systems
The system is halted.......... The system froze at this stage!

I used the reset button and was able to re-boot back into Lycoris where upon the following messages were displayed during start up (I think) and during shut down:

modprobe: cannot locate module
block major 33
modprobe: cannot locate module
block major 34

It repeated the above message several times. I have 2 HDD's and 1 CD-RW drive. Lycoris is installed on a partition on the primary slave drive. From a quick google search it appears to me that major 33 is the 3rd IDE device (being my CD drive) and major 34 is the 4th IDE device which I don't actually have! Mind you, I might be reading the explanation of these errors wrong!

I can start up and shut down with Lycoris still, but I have no idea what to do with these error messages :_|

Any advice would be appreciated :-), but please keep it simple as I haven't come to grips with the linux way of things yet!

Thanks in advance

Jen

Chilling_Silence
07-01-2003, 11:04 PM
>
> During shut down I saw the following messages:
>
> mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
>
> /dev/sr0 is write protected mounting read only
>

You get that with CD-Rom's as they cannot be written to. That's what sr0 is - you can find it in:
/mnt/sr0/
Your CD-ROM (or writer.. or in my case : DVD)!
fd0 should be your floppy drive, dunno why its not a valid block device?! Could be there's nothing in the drive!
I havent yet tried burning files in Lycoris, but itd be interesting to know a bit more about it!

> It then continued until this message:
>
> unmounting file systems
> The system is halted.......... The system
> froze at this stage!

The System is halted simply means its time to turn your PC off!
You will need to enable APM somewhere, I'll see what I can find about it, but it hasnt frozen, just finished shutting down :-)

>
> I used the reset button and was able to re-boot back
> into Lycoris where upon the following messages were
> displayed during start up (I think) and during shut
> down:
>
> modprobe: cannot locate module
> block major 33
> modprobe: cannot locate module
> block major 34
>

I get those too, about 6 of them going from memory, It hasnt bothered me yet, but I will check lycoris.com and see what their KB has to say :-)

> It repeated the above message several times. I have
> 2 HDD's and 1 CD-RW drive. Lycoris is installed on a
> partition on the primary slave drive. From a quick
> google search it appears to me that major 33 is the
> 3rd IDE device (being my CD drive) and major 34 is
> the 4th IDE device which I don't actually have! Mind
> you, I might be reading the explanation of these
> errors wrong!

Hmm... Could be, will see!

>
> I can start up and shut down with Lycoris still, but
> I have no idea what to do with these error messages
> :_|
>

Well, I've had those messages the whole time also, and it seems to be okay, I'll let you know what I come up with!

> Any advice would be appreciated :-), but please keep
> it simple as I haven't come to grips with the linux
> way of things yet!
>

Welcome to the club :p

I'll post back later on if I find anything useful/relevant!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Jen C
07-01-2003, 11:19 PM
Thanks Chill for the reassurance :-)

It is kind of Microsoft Windows to protect users from all the start up and shut down logs! :p Linux likes to tell you everything and sometimes likes to make you panic with its messages. :D Hopefully I will get over this!

Cheers
Jen

Chilling_Silence
07-01-2003, 11:25 PM
Hehehe, I agree.

The message comes up 8 times, 4 ending with 33 and 4 ending with 44... tye in modprobe into the KB of Lycoris.com and you get blank results.

Im not too worried about that, although I've just found http://www.lycoris.org and will be joining the groups there :D

Chilling_Silence

Dolby Digital
07-01-2003, 11:51 PM
Corel Linux removed most of the booting messages at the start to shield it from the user. I sort of missed them though... I must be a bit of a nerd B-)

Now that you have rebooted and got your cd out, if you put another cd in, will that come out... note, if all else fails, go to a command shell, login as root and type "umount cdrom" assuming cdrom is the device name which it probably is. You should be able to eject the cd them.

Graham L
08-01-2003, 01:56 PM
That "The system is halted" is normal. That is exactly what you told it to to when you "shutdown" the system.:D If you want it to "restart" or reboot the system, it can do that, too.

You can't remove a CD while it is mounted. That might seem silly, but there is a reason for it. It's consistent. If you have written to a mounted floppy, (or removable hard disk ... or even CDRW) in a *nix system, it won't necessarily have done it. It will finish such operations when it is ready.

There is a task running which keeps the disks "synchronised" with the stuff cached in memory. It used to be "compulsory" to issue a few "synch" commands before emergency shut downs. Linux pretty well handles that now, but it still insists that you umount a device before removing it. When you umount a disk, you will see the activity light flicker.

Chilling_Silence
08-01-2003, 02:29 PM
I quote:
"These entries are not indicative of a system error. They are only a warning message that occurs when a process tries to access one of the other two or three (depending on whether or not the second drive is installed) IDE channels available on the system that do not have a drive physically connected to them. Two of the three potential "modprobe: can't locate module block-major-XX" messages can be prevented by adding the following lines to the /etc/conf.modules file.

alias block-major-33 off
alias block-major-34 off

This will prevent 2/3 of the additional error messages. If an additional IDE card is added to support more drives, these entries must be removed from the configuration file. It is not recommended to add an alias for block major 22; as that will disable utilization of the second IDE drive that may already be installed or installed in the future."

Available from:
http://www.intel.com/support/netstructure/web_hostapp/31140.htm

HTH, dunno if it'll work with D/LX, The file isnt there in RedHat8

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
08-01-2003, 02:40 PM
This may help too:
# My Linux system reports "modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-xx". Some virus scanners do full Boot Sector scans every time they operate - as well as scanning the actual files. This triggers Linux to try to dynamically install a kernel module to deal with it - which doesn't exist. To remove these annoying messages, simply add the following lines to /etc/conf.modules (or /etc/modules.conf) and "depmod -a":

alias block-major-8 off
alias block-major-22 off
alias block-major-33 off
alias block-major-34 off

Jen C
08-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice :-)

I feel like a complete twit over not realising what the "the system is halted message" was actually telling me :8} - I wasn't expecting to be able to shut off a pc with a screen full of data still displayed!

I can eject CD's from the drive OK now as well :-)

Regarding the modprobe messages, I have looked in the /etc/modules.conf file and I am not sure under what section to add the lines alias block-major-33 off and alias block-major-34 off so I think I will just ignore those (and the rest!) of the messages during booting and shut down :D

Thanks again for the help, I can see I have lots to learn!

Jen <with a newbie-linux post-it note stuck to forehead>

Chilling_Silence
08-01-2003, 06:42 PM
> Jen <with a newbie-linux post-it note stuck to
&gt; forehead>

Hehe, I know how you feel :D