PDA

View Full Version : Picture Viewer File Name

Oxie
07-01-2003, 09:53 PM
I have Win XP Pro which came with a picture viewer "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer". Can anyone please tell me the name of the exe file that runs the viewer and which folder I might find it in. Many thanks.

A belated Happy New Year to all by the way.

Lyn (Oxie)

godfather
07-01-2003, 10:10 PM
Happy New Year Lyn.

I have a feeling that this application is actually run out of a .dll file (dynamic link library) and not as an exe, and if this is the case you cannot directly (or indirectly) link to it from a shortcut. It is called when an image is opened.

Most people run a more advanced image editing viewing program, and this application loses its registration with the files.

Babe Ruth
07-01-2003, 10:19 PM
Oxie,

The file is %SystemRoot%\system32\shimgvw.dll which is called from within Windows Explorer (if using that) shell and communicates with the application through the Component Object Model (COM) subsystem.

Why are you asking do you have a problem with using it or...??? :-)

Cheers, Babe.

Babe Ruth
07-01-2003, 10:27 PM
Oxie, Further to my earlier post the following command runs the Windows Picture & Fax Viewer: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe %systemroot%\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullsc reen "%1" where the "%1" is replaced with the filename of the object to be viewed, the quotes are required.

Cheers, Babe.

Oxie
07-01-2003, 11:55 PM
Many thanks godfather and babe ruth

The reason I was wanting to know the file name is that I used to use ACDSee picture viewer on my old computer and I had mIRC setup to open any received pictures automaticallly in this program. I had hoped to do the same in mIRC using the Windows viewer, but can now see that this would not be possible. Do you by any chance know if ACDSee95 works on Win XP? Perhaps I should see if there is a version for XP. Many thanks for your assistance.

Lyn (Oxie)

Babe Ruth
08-01-2003, 10:35 AM
Oxie, there is a version that runs under Windows XP ACDSee 5.0 available from ACDsee5.0 (http://www.acdsystems.com/English/Products/ACDSee/index.htm)

Babe.

Oxie
08-01-2003, 10:39 AM
Babe Ruth,

Thanks for that. I will check it out.

Lyn (Oxie)