PDA

View Full Version : Can a USB Flash Drive be used as a bootdrive and ghostdisk?

Humaine
07-01-2003, 04:39 PM
I'm looking at getting a USB flash drive to use for some upcoming work.

I'm having to format and reinstall about 25 computers and was hoping to use the USB flash drive as a boot disk and ghost program disk.

I want to create an image of the first machine using the usb drive with the ghost client image software on, over the network to a server. And from then on I can use the usb to format/reinstall the other machines.

Is this possible? Can you boot from a usb flash drive?

I think i just confused myself here. hehehe

- Humaine

godfather
07-01-2003, 04:55 PM
Some BIOS should be available soon with USB recognition on boot for drives, but unsure if any have been made or shipped. Or if any motherboards will support them. Its a hardware/bios limitation.

Answer then is: one day, yes perhaps, but on your hardware today? highly unlikely.

Humaine
07-01-2003, 08:14 PM
Bugger :/

Is there ever going to be a day when we get rid of the floppy drive. God damn, I hate them.

oh well thanks for the reply.

Billy T
08-01-2003, 01:24 PM
Why not make a bootable CD with your image file on it? CDs are not very floppy.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Graham L
08-01-2003, 04:26 PM
How about reloading from a server on the network? You could walk around with a floppy which could do the reformat and start the network installation.

Humaine
08-01-2003, 09:04 PM
Yea, thats what i'm going to have to do. I just dont like floppies cause they can be easily damaged and the storage is crap to.

The technical side of loading from the server will take some time. Ill have to create some disk that connect to the server and then ghost from there to the client machine. I imagine this will take some time to sort out.

I recently created a bootcd with the ghost image on it, which gives you the option to fdisk, format and then install the image to the hdrive. The only problem this time is that all the machines are win2k which means 3 to 4 cds. So loading from server is the only way.

wotz
08-01-2003, 09:16 PM
How about making a new partion of 1 - 2 gig on each machine then copy the ghost and image to it off the network. Imaging then only needs to consist of booting from a floppy and running ghost off the partition. Easier than making a boot disk(s) to work with all the NIC's.

The new partition can be hidden with tweakui so noone knows it it there and messes with it. The partion can still be used for imaging, as tweakui only hides it in windows.

Might take a while the first time, but much easier for the 2nd time.

Humaine
09-01-2003, 02:13 AM
Thanks I didnt think of that. That may be the way to go.