PDA

View Full Version : Modem / I-O Port Problems

tkelly
07-01-2003, 03:01 PM
My PC recently lost its settings due to the CMOS battery going flat. I've replaced the battery, entered the correct date/time and loaded default BIOS settings, but still get the message 'Conflict I/O Ports : 2F8' and the PC refuses the recognise the modem installed. I understand that these are all to do with COM2. I can't find any reference to the make/model of the modem, or an installation disk. Any advice on how to resolve these problems? I'm running Win98. Thanks.

Graham L
07-01-2003, 03:06 PM
If you have an internal modem, it has probably been set to be COM2. When you restored the BIOS settings, you will have installed the two motherboard COM ports: COM1 and COM2. You should be able, in the BIOS setup to disable the COM2 port. That will allow the modem to use the I/O port.

tkelly
07-01-2003, 04:49 PM
Hi Graham
Thanks - your advice got rid of the error message. Windows still won't detect my specific modem, but it seems to have loaded the generic modem driver which works!

Kame
07-01-2003, 05:30 PM
It's not likely for Internal modems to use COM1 or COM2 (they can use them though). I think most internal modems go for COM4 and the only reason it would be conflicting is if you use COM2 for anything like a serial device.

Instead of loading the BIOS default settings you possibly have to go through it and ensure that everything is correct.

Where is this error message being reported? The BIOS screen or in Windows?

If it's in the device manager is there anything with caution signs or windows does it tell you what it's conflicting with?

Could try removing your modem and reinstalling it again just incase you are trying to dialup using the settings that were there before you had trouble with the BIOS.

Elephant
07-01-2003, 05:42 PM
Not trying to rain on your parade, but.....

The CMOS battery was flat which would indicate an older computer ( maybe )

Older computers may well have ISA Modems instead of PCI. ISA Modems are often configured for a specific Com port via jumpers.

Kame
07-01-2003, 05:59 PM
You could be right about that too Elephant. I just guessed from the OS Win98 that it could be a machine that is recent and used a PCI modem and overlooked the possibility that it could still run an ISA modem. In which case it would require jumper settings although some modems that were ISA also were PnP which didn't require jumper settings.

If it is an ISA modem and it's set to used COM2 then you must find out what else is using the I/O Address 2F8 which could possibly be a serial device.

Elephant
08-01-2003, 08:57 PM
You are right. If the CMOS got dead ( no battery ) and the default was loaded at the first restart after battery change then Com2 on the Motherboard may not be disabled. If a modem (ISA) is jumpered for Com2 then there will be a conflict.

I wasn't trying to be a pain. :-)