PDA

View Full Version : Win XP Product Activation Key

Baldy
07-01-2003, 12:54 AM
Hi everyone

I have got a 120day evaluation copy of WinXP. After you install it, you have to activate it. Out of interest, what I want to know is, is the product key embedded into the disc somehow. Someone told me that if I refomatted, I would get another 120days - but I find that a bit hard to believe as you have to register the software to use it, and I don't see how you can trick Microsofts database into letting you do that.

BALDY:-)

E.ric
07-01-2003, 02:11 AM
OK then

After you have evaluated WinXP for 120 days, reformat your hard drive and evaluate a version of Linux,
:)
Sorry just had to say that,

cyberchuck
07-01-2003, 07:07 AM
Hey

I've heard that you never get BSOD's with DOS.. maybe you could evaluate that as well..

Otherwise I suppose you could go to www.microsoft.com/nz/evaluate and then get them to send a copy of XP to your parents (it'll have to be under their name too) and then ask your parents to hold onto it until you get it - you could even do that for your work address (you might need to get a new .NET Passport though, as I don't think Microsoft sends multiple copies of the same product to the same email address)

CyberChuck

-=JM=-
07-01-2003, 07:08 AM
I'm sure there are ways to get around to it. But it is a 120 day trial. After that time you should not use it again. Otherwise you are doing them out of money.

cyberchuck
07-01-2003, 07:09 AM
Also, that someone who told you that if you reformatted you could get another 120 days out of the disk, I have heard of someone who's supposedly done that (installed XP, formatted and reinstalled).. he says that he registered it first time - maybe a flaw with the MS Database??

CyberChuck

Mike
07-01-2003, 08:08 AM
>>> is the product key embedded into the disc somehow

No it's not. However if you have to contact Microsoft to get it to work first then you probably will have no luck. If you don't need to contact Microsoft first, then there should be no problem.

But I recommend buying XP - well worth the money.

Mike.

Dolby Digital
07-01-2003, 09:03 AM
I have the 120 day evaluation too. I have used 1 activation already. I almost tried to activate it again (to test a customers problem) but didn't (so I got 14 days instead).

Try it, I'm curious :D

tommy
07-01-2003, 10:39 AM
Personally I don't know why anyone would bother reformating and reinstalling Win XP every 120 days. Unless one used Ghost it would be a hassle resetting all your preferences and getting things customized how you like it. If you don't have Ghost by the time you buy that you may as well buy Win XP upgrade. But if you're happy to reformat every 120 days why not give it a try?

Baldy
07-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Thanks guys.

I am not going to install the XP evaluation disc, as I am chugging along happily on ME - and want to go the Linux way myself, if I install another OS. (It was late when I posted last night and didn't do my explaining all that clearly) I would rather spend the cost of the WinXP software on something like an XBox. Thats why Linux looks very enticing

I was just curious really, as I was sure that MS would be cunning enough to have the key embedded into the disc somewhere.

Chilling_Silence
07-01-2003, 10:59 AM
If you're looking to go the Linux way, I'd suggest Lycoris, as its like XP and is a good "toe wetter" after Knoppix.

You could always opt for trying out .NET Server RC2 if you want free MS OS? Its like XP?
Personally, I ditched it and went to Lycoris though :-)

I'll see about some screen-shots tonight for you all!

Baldy
07-01-2003, 11:10 AM
Yes Chilling,

The book shop has put away a copy of the magazine for me with the Lycoris CD on it. This was after I read your review and all the other info about on the internet.

rayonline
07-01-2003, 01:51 PM
i doh seem to notice winXP on that webpage. just office XP.

cyberchuck
07-01-2003, 01:59 PM
Hey

Well, I managed to get WinXP 120 day trial from there...
*goes takes a looksie*

Click on one of the links - don't worry they all point to the same place! - fill out the contact form with your details and then see if it's on the inside list of things to order, as I did see that some products listed on the second list (once you've submitted your details) are excluded from the first

CyberChuck

rayonline
07-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Please select a product Frontpage 2002 Evaluation -30 Day Trial NZ$ 0.00
Microsoft Security Resource Kit NZ$ 0.00
Microsoft Windows Platform Management Resource Kit NZ$ 0.00
Office XP Evaluation-30 Day Trial NZ$ 0.00
Project 2002 Auto Demo NZ$ 0.00
Project Pro 2002 and Project Server - 120 Days Trial CD NZ$ 0.00
Project Standard Trial Edition-60 Day Evaluation NZ$ 0.00
Project Std 2002 and Project Server - 60 Day Trial CD NZ$ 0.00
Software Management Guide NZ$ 0.00
Visio 2002 Evaluation - Standard -30 Day Trial NZ$ 0.00
Visio Professional 2002 Evaluation -30 Day Trial NZ$ 0.00
Windows.Net Customer Preview Program NZ$ 0.00

cyberchuck
07-01-2003, 02:22 PM
Ray

Well if you really want a copy of XP Trial (and I can't believe I'm saying this), then I suppose you could take my copy of it (haven't used it yet, and I'll have to locate it). If your genuinly interested in it then post back and I'll give you my email addy

CyberChuck

Graham L
07-01-2003, 03:23 PM
The product key is not embedded in the CD. They use CDs because they are cheap to produce. When you enter that key, the installation does a calculation and decides whether the key is a "legal" one. The registration with MS is the one that will stop you, if you need this second key to get the full 120 days. You might be able to get however long you can run without registering. MS would think that naughty. ]:)

I was playing with some stuff a while ago and tried to load a prerelease Developers CD of W98SE. It wouldn't install because the date was later than Dec 31 1998. :D I didn't try changing the date.

rayonline
07-01-2003, 05:36 PM
thanks cyberchuck for the offer. but no thank you. i am on broadband unlimted (uni) so downloading was easy as an interest. i am satisfied at the mo' wif win2k. i have tried winXP but uninstalled it, preferred win2k.

Ray

rayonline
07-01-2003, 05:42 PM
woops :) its not a download. was merely jus to play around anyhow. i have used b4 but prefer win2k.