PDA

View Full Version : Windows Me 'Out Of Box Experience'

Mr B
07-01-2003, 12:14 AM
I am operating windows Millennium Edition and often reinstall my operating system (for reasons completely unrelated to the OS - usually because the system has become sluggish with lots of programs being added and removed all the time).

When on the internet I recently discovered references to a application in Windows Me referred to as the Out Of Box Experience (OOBE) - an application that runs the first time that Windows Me runs on a computer. This isn't the Windows Tour, but a separate introduction to windows me. Visit this page if you don't know what I am talking about - it is described far better then I can - http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/millennium_oobe.asp .

I know that it is part of windows me as the files from it are located in the directory windows\system\oobe. But because it is meant to run only the first time windows does, it will not run.

My question is: How can I set up windows so that this application runs the first time windows loads up?

Any ideas?
Bruno

Steve Askew
07-01-2003, 08:40 AM
Has this Out Of Box Experience (OOBE) ever run for you?
I had ME when it first came out & I can't recall seeing it,Nor did I see it when windows was reinstalled about 6 times or more (lost count):D
I wonder if its something they put into ME later on?
As I see that site refers to Windows Me Release Candidate 2 (RC2)

Cheers Steve
PS:Windows Me Release Candidate 2 (RC2) Maybe they are going to make it worse :D

Mike
07-01-2003, 08:51 AM
>>> Windows Me Release Candidate 2 (RC2) Maybe they are going to make it worse

Release Candidate 2 (RC2) refers to a Pre-Release Beta version, not to a Second Edition of ME. It may have been something in ME that they took out when finally released?

Mike.

cyberchuck
07-01-2003, 08:55 AM
Hey

It's run for me on an HP Machine with WinME on it. HP were even so kind to put a shortcut to run Merlin on my desktop for me (which I'm sorry to say I deleted due to the fact I didn't use it). However, the first time I did run him after installation he was very helpful :D

However Merlin, like the Microsoft Office Assistants are all part of Microsoft Agent...

I doubt HP would put a Desktop Recovery on their restore CD' - so I can't give you the shortcut for him, but maybe you could email them saying that you lost your shortcut to Merlin/Windows Assistant and because he was so useful for you, you want him back.

CyberChuck

Steve Askew
07-01-2003, 09:04 AM
CyberChuck, My ME came on an HP :-( too, pavilion 6701,I remember It had this guy called Victor that spoke with a computerised yankee accent on the desktop,But can't remember the wizard.
Hmm maybe time to defrag my brain :D

Cheers Steve

cyberchuck
07-01-2003, 09:11 AM
Mike

I got myself an HP 8800 Pavilion, and my lil man (he's like the one shown in the images on the site above) walks and struts around the desktop (after coming out of some electronic gates) pointing out things like how can I connect to the internet, or Help! I'm new to Email - whaddo I do?

Then again *scratches head* he did have a computerized voice, don't remember the Yankee Accent though... Don't even remember him in a wizards outfit (he might've been though)...

Jeez... I'm already forgetting things and school hasn't even started this year :D

CyberChuck