PDA

View Full Version : Merging Partitions

scorpio
06-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Is it possible to merge partition in Windows 2000 using its utility/software?

There is 1 HD with 2 partitions. The primary partition has Windows 2000 and the rest is unused extended partition, not formatted or assigned any logical drives on it.

Can the disk administrator do it? Or any FREE utilities out there that can do it???

Any info will be great!!

Thanks

mcatley
06-01-2003, 11:54 PM
Sorry to say this scorpio but the answer to your queston about disk administrator is no. I am not aware of any free utilitys that can do this.
The reason for this is quite possibly that the partitioning tasks such as the one you are talking about could very possible if it stuffs up delete all your files and freeware programers dont want to be faced with this resonsobility. You have two options, the first buy a profesional program to do the job. I would sugest powerquest's partionmagic (www.powerquest.com). Your second option would be to back up all your important files and to remove both the partions from your computer and reinstalling windows on one new partion which talks up the entire drive.

scorpio
07-01-2003, 12:07 AM
Guess i will go for reinstalling the whole system.

Thanks Mcately for your information.

Rod J
07-01-2003, 12:14 AM
I can also recommend Powerquest Partition Magic as the best tool for this job, however there are free partition managers that can also do the job albeit without the easy Windows GUI that Partition Magic has. Ranish Partition Manager (http://www.ranish.com/part/) has a character based interface (like old DOS programs) which isn't too hard to use. Also the site has a tutiorial on the programs use and partitioning in general, etc.

Rod J
07-01-2003, 12:21 AM
Oh, by-the-way, if you do use a partitioning tool make sure you BACK UP any important data before you fiddle with the partitions because something could go wrong in the process and you may have to start from scratch anyway.

scorpio
07-01-2003, 01:05 AM
Cheers Rod,

Infact i will give the Ranish partition manager a go.
Theres nothing much to loose i guess except time for reinstalling if something mucks up.

Its actually on laptop i plan to do this. It had Windows NT 4.0 previously and cause of limitation of seeing up to 4Gig or something i had to partition hard Drive. Now i have Win2k and well all the important data is on CD so i will try this partition manager.

Thanks

Scorpio

Shroeder
07-01-2003, 10:49 AM
Another program you might like to try is Parted. It is free and uses 2 1.44mg floppies

Go to http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/bootdisk/ and download:

partboot.img
partroot-1.6.4.img

Then you will need to use rawrite to copy them to floppy (as they are image files)

Boot the "boot" disk
put in the "root" disk when asked

type "parted" (without the " ") at the prompt

"help" will bring up a list of the options
"print" will show the current partition structure

You will need to delete ("rm") the empty partition and then resize the one you want to keep.

As always, back up first (but I have never had parted destroy data when resizing)

Have fun