PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Links

Lamoe57
06-01-2003, 07:59 PM
I am using Windows XP. Internet Explorer version 6.02.

I find when I am on the internet and a page is loading that the links on the page disappear when the page has finished loading.

This includes photos and download links.

Can anyone advise me as to why this should be happening.

roofus
06-01-2003, 10:35 PM
goto Tools --> Internet Options --> Advanced --> "Restore defaults"
Did this fix the problem?

Jim B
06-01-2003, 11:18 PM
I think roofus might be on to it but incase you are still having trouble can you be a bit more specific as to what is happening.

When you say the links disappear do you mean they are showing but not underlined and clickable or is there just a blank space where they should be.

Lamoe57
07-01-2003, 08:54 PM
The best example I can give is when my home page loaded which is the xtra homepage, I went to a link, click on the link and as with most xtra pages there are links down one side of the page by way of photos. When the page has finished loading with the photo the photo disappears and the link with it. It just vanishes and leaves a blank space.

I might add this does not always happen however on most occasions it does. Not all photo links disappear.

Jim B
08-01-2003, 01:20 AM
Strange problem, could be many things, go through the items here.

With IE open, select work off line and select Tool/Internet options
Or
Right click on IE icon on the desktop ( the big blue E) and left click properties.

With IE options open make sure general Tab at the top is selected.
Click on Colors at the bottom
Links - Visited: change to Red
Unvisited: change to blue
To change color click on the color box and select the color

Colours - Tick "Use windows colors" or remove tick from "ignore colors specified on web pages" so web sites display their own colors as if you are using your own selection background and text might conflict.
Click OK

If graphics do not load then this will be a JPG or GIF problem.

Go to IE tools/internet options/advanced/multimedia. Ensure the option to show pictures and animations is selected.

If you have Norton Internet Security installed reset your Personal Firewall Settings.You may have to uninstall and then reinstall Norton Personal firewall.
When you reinstall Norton Personal Firewall, the program is reconfigured for Microsoft Internet Explorer 6

It has been noted that if IE is set to 'auto-select' at view, encoding that some sites will not load graphics. Set your system to western european
(windows).

Do a FIND for HOSTS (on your main drive usually C:\) and DELETE all of the files that appear. Then REBOOT for the file to rebuild itself.

Some graphics will not display if you have the java scripting turned off under Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Microsoft VM -> JIT compiler for virtual machine should be CHECKED ( If it was not checked, check it and you will have to restart for the change to take affect).

See if any of this helps solve the problem.

Big John
08-01-2003, 01:49 AM
Do you have Nortons Security installed?

Maybe it is mistaking them for advertising and removing them from your screen for faster loading of web pages. Disable it if you have it and see what happens.

Or it may be a similar type of program. Maybe a popup stopper that does the same function.

Lamoe57
08-01-2003, 08:39 PM
Thanks to those that replied to my query.

And the answer is .........the popup stopper that I had on the system.

It never gave me any problems up until recently but since deleting it the problem appears to have been fixed.

Once again thanks.