PDA

View Full Version : Serial mouse problem

winks
06-01-2003, 04:38 PM
I've put together a pc from old parts and can't seem to get the serial mouse working. When I start up windows it says ‘Windows did not detect a mouse connected to your computer. You can safely attach a serial mouse now.’ But the serial mouse doesn’t work.
I'm using win98 SE with a ASUS SP97-V motherboard with a Pentium MMX 233.
The motherboard does not have a ps connector on it. You can connect an external connector set (USB, PS/2 mouse, and infrared). I don’t have one though.
I have tried using the different com ports, reinstalling windows, setting the bios to default and reinstalling the pc. None of this makes the serial mouse work.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get a mouse working on this pc?
I am really frustrated by it and would really like to solve this problem.
Any comments would be most appreciated.
Regards,
Andrew Winks

Billy T
06-01-2003, 04:43 PM
Hi Andrew

It might be an idea to check on another PC to make sure that the mouse actually works.

Having said that, did you install the drivers or are you relying on the generic drivers supplied with the OS.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Chilling_Silence
06-01-2003, 04:44 PM
And you're sure the mouse is working? Have tried it on another PC?

When you go through Add/Remove Hardware, Does it pick anything up?

CYaBro
06-01-2003, 04:51 PM
Did you use the internal cables that came with the mainboard originally? i.e. the COM port & LPT port cables that plug into the mainboard and screw into the back of the case.

I have found that there are a couple of different types of these cables and will only work with some mainboards.
If the mouse does work on another PC I would try changing these cables.

winks
06-01-2003, 05:43 PM
Yep the mouse works. I've tried about 4 different types of generic mice.

winks
06-01-2003, 05:55 PM
Add / remove hardware doesn't find anything.
I will try and find some different cables to try.
It's been sugested to me to try a pci usb card and plug a mouse into that, so I'll try that as well.

godfather
06-01-2003, 07:03 PM
Have you confirmed that the serial ports actually exist?
(Under device manager)
Have all motherboard I/O drivers been installed?

winks
07-01-2003, 03:26 PM
The ports exist under the device manager and it says they are fine.
Everything does seem to be installed.

I got a bit of lateral thinking from 'winksTheBold' and he suggested getting a pci usb card ($28 on special at DSE). That worked a treat. Now I just use a USB mouse with it. Excellent.

Thanks for everyones help.