PDA

View Full Version : bright monitors

bob_doe_nz
05-01-2003, 10:56 PM
does anyone know a good brand of 17 inch monitors that are good for gaming that are bright.

when you play "Thief- the dark project" or "thief2 the metal age" youll understand why.

also where can i take my monitor to be recycled when it finally does go out?
in auckland.

robsonde
05-01-2003, 10:59 PM
if i remember rightly there is a place called "the ark" or ark computers or sum such......

thay will take all/any old computer stuff.

Terry Porritt
06-01-2003, 08:06 AM
Many monitors are never set up correctly. It's important to adjust your monitor using a grayscale test pattern, you will be surprised at the difference. Here are just 2 sites where a grayscale can be used, if you search with google you may find a scale to download, or you can just right click on the scale and 'save picture as'.

http://www.hudsonfineart.com/calibrate.html

http://www.aa6g.org/Astronomy/Articles/grayscale.html

However you will get what you pay for, a 'budget' monitor will often have a poor tube with bad convergence, ie the the 3 primary colours dont precisely overlap when they should, focus vary over the screen, a blotchy white screen, and lower resolution etc.

bob_doe_nz
06-01-2003, 09:23 AM
okay... thats not what i had in mind.
well does anyone know if the philips 107E is any good?

bmason
06-01-2003, 12:35 PM
I've got a Phillips 107T with "lightframe", which is marketing for turning the brightness up really really high.

It does make image a bit blury though.

Terry Porritt
06-01-2003, 03:37 PM
We may be talking about different things :)

Brightness is usually set so that you can just see the raster lines on a black background in 'normal' light. The brightness control varies the EHT (high voltage) to the tube. Too much brightness is not a good thing, focus will suffer and the picture will start to look washed out.

Your monitor may be starting to lose emission so that the picture contrast is getting poor and the colours are weak, also the output from the video colour amplifiers may be down a bit.

I think all good brand monitors like Philips, Viewsonic, etc etc, will give a good picture when adjusted correctly. It's only the budget monitors that may be less than satisfactory as regards variable focus, poor colour, blotchiness etc.

I have a sneaking suspicion, but no real knowledge though, that the budget monitors have the tubes that did not quite come up to scratch during manufacture and inspection, with the good ones going to the more expensive makes.

bmason
06-01-2003, 09:43 PM
> well does anyone know if the philips 107E is any good?

I origionaly got a 107E and its picture was fine (better than the 107T IMO).