PDA

View Full Version : my harddisk and cd-rom drive vanished!!!

weasel
05-01-2003, 06:47 PM
shortly before christmas I bought a USB storage device with 32 mb and two additional USB connections. once I connected it to the pc and installed the driver I then restarted my pc. when I clicked the my computer icon I was surprised to see that I only had disk A: C: D: available and the drive icon for the storage device, but drive E: and my CD-ROM drive had vanished. now my only question is how to restore my CD-ROM drive so that I can restore E with partition magic 8. Please help.

raddersnz
06-01-2003, 12:13 PM
I would take a look in the BIOS, to see if it is still actually there and just not being read by winblows. I'm not sure what to do next though:p

radz:p

Graham L
06-01-2003, 03:43 PM
You shouldn't need to "restore drive E using Partition Magic". Adding USB ports (I assume a plug in board?) should not have altered your partition tables.

Try removing the new things.(Software, and hardware) :D That should restore your computer to the way it was before. Then add only one thing per "turn on". That is, add the USB card (without the extra drive ). Get that installed and recognised. Then you should be able to "hot plug" the external drive, and still have a working system.

That's the theory, anyway. ;-) Whether it will work ...

weasel
08-01-2003, 02:06 AM
thanks graham l now my E is back but my cd-rom drive is still gone !!
how should I fix that?