PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 Dial Up on IE6

dougsnr
05-01-2003, 05:28 PM
I have Windows 98 and have upgraded to IE6, mainly because of the added security and the ability to block cookies etc.

I find that the dial up window comes up when the computer starts up. This is rather annoying as you have to delete it each time you start up if you don't want to dial up.

I can stop that by going to tools/internet options/connections and selecting 'never dial a connection'.

But this means that if you go to outlook express or IE6 while you working on other computer applications that the dial up window does not appear and you get another message that the page is not available [IE6] or that the internet provider could not be contacted [Outlook Express].

I would appreciate any assistance.

Doug

cyberchuck
05-01-2003, 06:55 PM
Hey

Have you tried going through MSCONFIG (start > run and type MSCONFIG then click on the startup tab) as this lists most things that run on computer startup, so all you have to do is go in and disable whatever is trying to initiate an internet connection (by taking the tick out of the box) - while your here you can remove any other programs you don't want to run on startup. After this, click OK and reset then that should fix it

Have you also got the latest updates for your antivirus? - as most microsoft applications won't initiate an internet connection on startup unless they've been told to run on startup

CyberChuck

Jim B
05-01-2003, 08:30 PM
As well as the previous suggestions go to Control panels/ Network
Remove all protocols except -
Client for MS networks
Dialup Adapter
TCP/IP
Restart the computer

Also if you have Realplayer installed this has been known to cause this by attempting to check for updates.

Jim B
06-01-2003, 07:22 AM
MS information about this problem http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q175312] ( [url) Here[/url] as well

dougsnr
07-01-2003, 05:40 PM
Thanks cyberchuck and Jim B.

Much appreciated.

Doug