PDA

View Full Version : Hearts (the game)

Happy Harry
05-01-2003, 03:18 PM
Hi Guys and Gals

I have a P4 1600 running Win XP Pro While waiting for new topics to download from Press F1 i like to play Hearts. On my old P3 500 I could see what player was playing each card and had a reasonable chance of winning a game. With my new PC the cards are played in a fast blur and my success rate has dropped. I have the animation speed set as low as it goes. Does anyone know of a way to slow the game down at all.
Not a biggie but it would be nice.

Cheers
HH

Graham L
05-01-2003, 03:30 PM
History keeps repeating itself. ;-) When the 8, 10 and 12 MHz PC ATs came out, games which ran well at 4.77 MHz became unplayable.

So people wrote TSRs (who knows what that TLA means :D ) to slow things down. Then manufacturers put "Turbo" switches on the front panel, or put key combinations in the keyboard controller to change the clock speed.

Don't know how to slow down your speed demon, sorry. Just thought I'd give a bit of history. :D (and this might post twice).

godfather
05-01-2003, 03:44 PM
> So people wrote TSRs (who knows what that TLA
> means

It means a Terminate and Stay Resident in memory utility. A utility that runs, and exits, but leaves the critical code in memory to slow the PC down.
Trust me, you do not want to use one, even if it would run, as it would reduce your PC to a crawl....

There are several free card games available on the internet, try some out to see if they behave better?

-=JM=-
05-01-2003, 07:00 PM
I'm sitting in front of a XP system at the moment which doesn't have Hearts on it.

But when I had 98se I'm sure I remember there being an option to have "fast animation" or not.

Babe Ruth
06-01-2003, 09:11 AM
Happy Harry,

I don't know how to 'slow' the game down but here's a cheat to see ALL the cards everyone has while playing the game. (This cheat should work under most versions of Windows {9x, ME, W2K, WXP})

After signing in to the game press the following keys together CTRL ALT SHIFT F12 this combination of keys will turn on/off the display of everyones cards. ;-)

Babe.

parry
06-01-2003, 11:14 AM
Hi, a great program for slowing down games is Moslo (http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/). It came free with an old DOS game Ive got and allows you to set a percentage of your CPU speed.

cheers
Parry