PDA

View Full Version : CD-RW space

roofus
05-01-2003, 10:49 AM
I have just formatted an 80min/700MB CD-RW using inCD. in explorer and at the dos prompt it reports only 600MB.
Does this mean 100MB is used in formatting? or
Have i formated it wrong?
or are these companies like Hard drive makers that report a MB as been 1000 bytes?

the CD-rw was formated in the UDF file system

Susan B
05-01-2003, 11:24 AM
I have just looked at one of my CD-RW disks that is formatted with InCD and is full of data. The disk is 650MB/74min and Win Explorer reports that capacity is 540MB with no free space. Another disk is worse -- only 536MB total. :O

So yes, I guess that 100MB is used for formatting.... or something. :-(

goes off muttering about formatting being a greedy so-and-so

John D
05-01-2003, 11:45 AM
Gidday Roofus,

The formatting you have done using inCD is so can packet write to your CDwriter.You can know use your CD-RW disk like a big capacity floppy.You will also find that you can right click a file,folder etc... and select Send To-- inCD drive just like Send To Floppy.The inCD software has formatted to UDF , to make this so. And it takes your lost 100MB to do so. The inCD soft ware was developed for this purpose,You can of course you regular CD write soft ware Nero etc to write to your CD-RW without the loss of disk space, but you can't right click or drag and drop to CD Writer.

Hope this makes sence to ya , Cheers John.