PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Screen Res problems in Linux

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2003, 09:35 PM
Ive tried out using Lycoris Desktop/LX, and my monitor has always been a budget one.. ValuePoint its got written on it and is just picked up by all OS's as a generic monitor.

Now, In Doze, it'll do 1024x768 just dandy, provided the refresh rate is set to 60hz.

Same in RedHat 8!

Now, In Desktop/LX, Its not quite the same. It doesnt pick up GF4 (Just simply not in the list, so I use the SiS AGP or whatever it says on startup - 64MB!) And, it'll only let me do a res of 640x480 before it throws a wobbly! Now, I mean the screen really goes wobbly, being displyed all randomly and stuff... Not too good :-(

Do I need to update the drivers? I've tried changing the res and all, mucked about with the XF86config-4 file a bit but Im still no where!

I use Ctrl+Alt++ to switch between res.

Could it be the Driver or the Vert. Sync? I cant remember what it is right now, but i can look up if need be. What does Windows use?

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2003, 10:28 PM
Well, Its going alright for now I guess...

Ive got it in a stable 640x480 res, done by mucking about with the XF86Config file so much it screwed right up and launched a recovery. Im using a VESA driver with a standard monitor (unprobed). It'll do for now, but Id like to nail this eventually if anybody can still help! nVidia drivers are not on my "Know what Im doing" list... hint hint! ;)

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Gorela
04-01-2003, 10:35 PM
Chilling,

Not sure if it will help, but I am aware that nVidia have released updated linux drivers for their cards which may well help out with your problem. Available as a download at their site...

bmason
04-01-2003, 10:46 PM
Its been a while since I played with a nvidia card but .. . you should be able to pick any of the nvidia based cards from the list (eg Gefore2) because they all use the same driver ("nv") which will detect what card you have when XFree starts.

XFree only uses the vendor/board name entries in XF86Config for show.

Dolby Digital
04-01-2003, 11:03 PM
I would have thought that you should easily get 800x600 8 bit colour. I'm sure Lycoris detected my TNT2 M64 no problems (paybe yours is a bit "young"). As you mentioned, maybe the generic settings may not be good for your monitor either.

Chilling_Silence
05-01-2003, 02:34 PM
Well, I switched it from vesa to nv by editing the XF86config-4 file and the display is screwed. I can see it clearly, but the colors are wacked!

Which driver should I download coz it doesnt say "Lycoris Desktop/LX" there anywhere and I dunno how to work that downloaded file..

Thanks guys

Chilling_Silence

Graham L
05-01-2003, 02:35 PM
The nVidia drivers are proprietary. They are not open source, so many distributions "will not" include them, because they insist on everything being GPL. NVidia happily provide the drivers for Linux, and I hear that they are better than the open source ones for other fancy cards whose manufacturers do provide the documentation needed to write the drivers. ;-)

To get anything better than the VGA 640x480 you will need to download the drivers, and rerun XF86config (or whatever).

Chilling_Silence
05-01-2003, 02:41 PM
Well, its going better now, I manually went in and used vi (I cant figure out how to save a file in text-editor with su privilages) and edited it so that everything that had said 640x480 now said 1024x768 and that took a while coz there was quite a few, but Ive got screen res, but its on a vesa driver, what's that gonna be like if i try and install UT2K3 demo for linux?

So its working at 1024x768, in 32bit color off a vesa driver, should I just leave it at that? Im mean "If it aint broke - dont try and fix it!"

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Graham L
05-01-2003, 03:01 PM
I'd be inclined to get the proper driver. Especially if you want to have games.

Haven't you found pico, or joe? They are much nicer to use than vi.

Jen C
05-01-2003, 03:09 PM
Here is a cut and paste from the Lycoris home page regarding nVidia drivers:

How do I configure Desktop/LX to use my NVIDIA video card?

This article applies to: Desktop/LX , Desktop/LX Deluxe , Desktop/LX InterConnect

Summary

Desktop/LX will support NVIDIA video cards but needs to be configured to do so.

Resolution

Configuring Desktop/LX for NVIDIA :

1. Open the IRIS Software Installer by going to Flower Menu > System Management > Install Software. Choose Install Software from the internet.

2. In the IRIS search box type "NVIDIA."
The two results returned will be
~NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-46rl.i586.rpm and
~NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-46rl.i586.rpm.
Click on the "Install" button and the Desktop/LX Software Installer will install your new drivers.

3. Right click on My Linux System on your desktop and choose Manage Files. Type in the root password when prompted.

4. You should now see a window titled file:/ - Konqueror. Click the etc folder, then the X11 folder.

5. You should now see a window titled /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 - Text editor

6. Look for Section "Module" and remove the following lines if they appear:

Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"

7. Verify that Section "Module" includes the line Load "glx"

8. Look for Section "Device", and within that section look for a line that says Driver "(something_other_than_nvidia)", and change it to say Driver "nvidia"

9. Select File, Save, then close the Text Editor and Konqueror windows.

10. Logout and the XServer will restart automatically with your new divers.

Graham L
05-01-2003, 03:15 PM
That's not fair, Jen. :_|

You read the instructions. :O

Chilling_Silence
05-01-2003, 10:13 PM
Joe and pico?? Sound like soul brothers... I can use vi with limited functionality, so that'll do unless you can tell me how to get into them.

Last time I tried something like that... It asked me for a product number, but I have a download version, not a bought one.. Will look into it! Thanks guys :-)