PDA

View Full Version : Linux People

merlin-nz
04-01-2003, 09:22 PM
Hi people,

Trying for a while now to get K-Mail up and running, but am now very stumped.

Mandrake 9.0

I setup the settings correctly, According to my ISP sever man. but when I click on to check for new mail <unknown host mail.quik.co.nz or could not connect to server mail.quik .co.nz unknown host quik>.
The spelling for quik is correct.
Could K-Mail reject certain servers:p

I have no trouble connecting to the internet with the same server.?:|

Using Mozilla browser
also tried Evolution for e-mail.

cheers merlin-nz ;-)

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2003, 09:40 PM
Im assuming youve put in pop.quik.co.nz and smtp.quik.co.nz for the server names...?

Clueless
04-01-2003, 09:59 PM
The big trap i found with Kmail is the send proticol, I'm sorry i cant give you a better description than this, but i am nowhere near my Linux box, and am doing this from memory.

Anyways... have a look round Kmails preferences, and somewhere you will find a confusing wee bit where you will see the send proticols. One will be "sendmail" (i think) the other will be SMTP. There will be some arrows at the rightof the dialog box that will allow you to move SMTP to the top. The proticol on the top will be the one that Kmail uses..
Thats the bit that had me stumped at first, hope that helps

.CLueless

merlin-nz
05-01-2003, 01:06 AM
Hey there and thanks but it seems I have the right setup.

I can send and recieve if I connected to the internet only.

If not connected to the internet I get the <could not connect to server mail.quik.co.nz or unknown host quik>.

so it seems I have to be connected to send and recieve e-mails, could this be so.

I had heard some where that with some e-mail programs that this is the case.

cheers merlin-nz ;-)

Baldy
05-01-2003, 10:28 AM
I doubt if there is any email client that send/receive emails without you being connected to the internet.

All that probably happens is they sit in your "Outbox" ready for dispatch.

It would be a bit like getting snail mail without a postie.

BALDY:-)

segfault
05-01-2003, 11:34 AM
What you may want to do is tell KMail to queue the mail rather than send it when you click "Send". Then it will send your mail when it next checks your account.

Graham L
05-01-2003, 02:29 PM
I think Baldy is right: Your Internet access (and charging -- without which you can do nothing :D) is handled by a login to your ISP. The ISP is your gateway to the Internet, including to the mail server, even if it is owned by your ISP.

The protocol is critical: you must use the correct one for whatever server you use.

merlin-nz
05-01-2003, 10:58 PM
Baldy and Graham,
I think I understand where u are coming from, but in winblows when i use eudora, I click on <check mail> and the program then connects to ISP server and my mail is down loaded and Is sent, with out first conecting to the internet with browser (Opera or IE6)

But in Mandrake I start K Mail and click on <Check mail in> and I get the error messages that it cannot <connect to server mail.quik.co.nz> or <unknown host quik>.

But when I log on to the internet (Browser Mozilla) and then start K Mail I can send and reicve mail.

I spoke to my ISP the other week and we went through all the settings and he could not understand why I could not do it but mentioned something about some programs have to be logged on to the internet first and then you start your e mail program. ?:|

Has this made any sense at all.

cheers merlin-nz ;-)

-=JM=-
05-01-2003, 11:33 PM
So you're needing to dial the connection on the spot then?

Rod J
06-01-2003, 12:37 AM
I believe one of the differences between Windows and Linux is that Linux internet-related programs don't 'dial on demand'. With Linux you have to manually make the connection first then check your mail or whatever. Bit of an inconvenience I suppose ;).

Graham L
06-01-2003, 02:44 PM
That will indeed be the problem. Of course that can prevent accidents ... but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a reasonable easy way to do that automatically. (There is always a way to do anything in software :D) But it won't be enabled by default, because it would be considered to be bad for security. We sometimes get questions here from people who wonder why their (Windows) computer is dialling out in the middle of the night. ;-)

merlin-nz
06-01-2003, 03:40 PM
Thankyou people,

I do believe Rod hit the nail so to speak, <I believe one of the differences between Windows and Linux is that Linux internet-related programs don't 'dial on demand'. With Linux you have to manually make the connection first then check your mail or whatever. Bit of an inconvenience I suppose.

So s/pose have to put up with the inconeience:p

Cheers merlin-nz ;-)