PDA

View Full Version : Default settings in Publisher 97

Alison
04-01-2003, 03:23 PM
1. How can I change the default folders in Publisher 97 for
a. saving files
b. opening picture files?

2. Is there any way to change the default font when a new text box is opened?

Merlin
04-01-2003, 03:49 PM
Not possible in 97

upgrade to 2000 or XP

Susan B
04-01-2003, 05:06 PM
Alison, you can change the default folders in Publisher 97 for saving files by creating a shortcut on your desktop for Publisher and changing the Target destination in the shortcut's Properties to the folder which you require.

I don't know of a way to change the default folders for opening picture files.

There may be a way to change the default font when a new text box is opened but I'm not sure. I will have to look at my notes and will get back to you if it is possible. One thing you can do is create a text box with your font preferences and create a Style from it which will quickly have it how you want.

Susan B
04-01-2003, 05:14 PM
I found the info quicker than I thought. :-)

Merlin is correct regarding not being able to specify default fonts in new text boxes but there is a way around it. The following is from my Tip World notes:

"Is there a way to change Publisher's default New Publication template?" The answer is no. While previous versions of Publisher allowed you to do this, Publisher 98 and 2000 do not.

However, you CAN create a document template of your own containing the features you WISH were in the default template and then use it instead of the default template to create new publications.

To create the template, click the New button to open a new, blank publication. Next, change whatever you like. To change the default text size to 12 points (or what you prefer), choose Format, Text Style; in the Text Style dialog box click Change This Style, Character And Type Size, set Size to 12, and click OK, OK, Close. To change the default margins to .5 inch (if you wish), choose Arrange, Layout Guides; set all four Margins to .5 inch, and click OK.

Once you've made all your changes, choose File, Save As. From the Save as Type drop-down menu, choose Publisher Template (*.pub); name your template (for example, My Default) and click Save. To use this template for your next new publication, choose File, New (do NOT click the New button); in the Publisher Catalog click Template, then select your template and click Open. It's not as smooth a process as clicking the New icon, but it saves you the trouble of repeating steps with every new publication.

Hope this helps.