PDA

View Full Version : Video editing

jbrood
04-01-2003, 02:29 PM
Hi

I am looking to buy a laptop to do video editing (from digital video)at school. Can you help me with some minimum specs for such a system?

I have heard that some people use a device (box) that changes the format of the video ( to mpeg I think) before it is imported into the laptop. I think this way the specs of the laptop can be a bit lower.

Please help?

J B

roofus
04-01-2003, 03:06 PM
i don't know of a box that does this. But you can get a card that does all the encoding/decoding.
http://www.tomshardware.com

A report is written here on the stuff. You will find it very usefull

tango
05-01-2003, 10:48 AM
there are box/device thingies that convert an analog signal into digital, i know that. sorry can't remember where any sites are. you could look at getting an apple ibook. the guys from Back of the Y used them. but you'd want a fairly high cpu, at least 512 ram, and a big 7200 rpm hard drive. the ram and hard drive is going to probably make the most difference.

Dragonslayer
05-01-2003, 01:03 PM
I have just done a LOAD of editing from my Digital Video cam to DVD, and it was a bit of a learning curve, however, all you need is a PC with firwire connection (IEEE1394) and a Digital Camera (You said you were using one) with a DV out.
The rest is done by Software. the 2 pieces of software i used were Ulead video studio 6 for the recording and editing (can save as MPEG or AVI) and SONIC MYDVD to create the DVD from either an MPEG source or a AVI source.
It taks a LONG time to render the video from AVI to DVD as DVD uses MPEG2, so it has to convert it frame by frame, so before you make the DVD, make sure that it isnt too long to fit on the DISC (Longer than 2 Hours) ot else you have to render it again.