PDA

View Full Version : crashing on startup

nuts
04-01-2003, 12:06 PM
i am using a upgraded older computer(733mhz,1.3 gig hard drive,windows 98) and when the pc is cold(ie off all night) it consistently crashes on startup.after a while(a few attempted starts) it seems fine,.restarting every time. think there is such a thing as "warming up"?
or is it something more simple? thanks for any help u guys can give me:)

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Have you got the latest drivers for everything?

mark c
04-01-2003, 01:37 PM
Used to happen to us in winter in this cold, drafty old building. We'd put a fan heater blowing towards the box for ten minutes and it'd boot up no problem.

If things are running at an optimum temp. I could imagine the data flow is more reliable. If cold there could be glitches just as if too hot.

godfather
04-01-2003, 03:05 PM
Things that are temperature dependant.

Older near-end-of-life Hard disks.
All connections.
Fans.

Data will not move better or worse in the normal temperature ranges but it can be interrupted by connections, or failure to read from disks (which should give an error).

Most likely just connections (cable plugs/sockets, card connectors, motherboard sockets etc)

roofus
04-01-2003, 04:33 PM
what a crock of @#$%
a 733mhz isn't so old that it needs a hotwater bottle and a blanket.

When you say it crashes? what exactly happens, do you get a blue screen of death? does everything just freeze? does the screen not come on? does it just randomly turn itself off or reset?

Elephant
04-01-2003, 05:50 PM
I love that word crash.... Seems to apply to everything!!!

nuts
05-01-2003, 10:27 PM
it was originally an older computer,upgraded to a 733(hence the tiny hdd),and when i say crash it resets:)

roofus
06-01-2003, 07:22 AM
how far into windows does it get before it resets?

Search through the pressf1 pages. Within the last couple of weeks there has been a post about a computer randomly reseting itself. You will see in that thread that it generally occurs because of a RAM failure or a PSU failure.

But commments that your computer is so old that it needs extra care is absolute crap.

Billy T
06-01-2003, 04:28 PM
Are you having a bad day Roofus? It's not like you to get so heated over terminology. Nobody suggested that this computer needed a blanket & hot water bottle but maybe you could use a couple of frosty ones to mellow out your day, :D

Some older computers do need a little TLC due to contact deterioration and older power supplies can become unreliable during startup due to loss of capacitance in some critical components that are located in hotter areas. Perversely, warming the box can help starting reliability.

Maybe a little more detail about the problem would have helped remote diagnosis. Sounds like it is a startup problem, not a crash at all.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)( :|

roofus
06-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Sorry Billy i'm no electrician but i'd like to think i know a wee bit. My father was a sparky and i learnt alot from him.

Your coments regarding contact deterioration and/or oxidisation are indeed true. But that doesn't apply to a 2 year old computer that has been keept inside with an ambient temp around the 18-22 degrees range.

Yes and true the warming of electrical componenets results in the expansion of the components and hence better contact. however once again this doesn't apply to the equipment at hand.

I have noticed many posts in F1 where people comment that it is because of old equipment, I generally don't comment and let it slide, however someone has to break the cycle one day!!! :-p

don't mean to annoy anyone sorry.