PDA

View Full Version : Paradise Connection speed

Jester
04-01-2003, 10:20 AM
Hi

My connection speed to Paradise over the past few weeks has degraded significantly. I used to get 52000 all the time, with the occasional 48000 and 31200 as the slowest. I would re-connect and it would be back up to 52000.

Lately however, I have been connecting at 9100, 12000, 14400 and 21000 (??!!). The handshake seems to be taking ages too. If I persevere I can get 52000, but this involves disconnecting, redialling untill I am happy with the speed.

I know I can use an init string to force a higher connection or limit to a slower connection that may be more stable, but if I dial in to FreeNet, it connects quickly, at 52000.

This leads me to believe that it's a Paradise issue. Has anyone else experienced a slow-down?

Cheers

J.

Danger
04-01-2003, 10:31 AM
No.

roofus
04-01-2003, 10:48 AM
Since Danger informed us that paradise isn't having a problem, my guess would be that there is a problem with the exchanges that link you up to paradise. Unfortunately this isn't something you or paradise can rectify. Rather Telecom would address this.

Archie
04-01-2003, 10:52 AM
Hi my connection is stable at 54667(has been since March when I joined)

Steve Askew
04-01-2003, 10:57 AM
Ring telecom 123 & tell them you are having internet problems & ask them to check your phone line. only takes them a few mins & shouldn't cost you anything.
Cheers Steve
PS: also try unplugging any other Devices that share the same line. fax,cordless phones ETC.

Jester
04-01-2003, 11:20 AM
Thanks for your replies.

I have been playing about with drivers since my post. I have a Lucent winmodem on XP, and have been using the 8.22 driver until now. I have rolled back the driver to the 8.20 as 8.22 is not XP certified apparently, however it's still the same.

I'll see what happens over the weekend, it may be just that Tauranga's Paradise customers are all online at the moment. I'll stick to FreeNet for the next hour or so then try Paradise again.

Thanks again

J.

roofus
04-01-2003, 11:39 AM
When there are many users on an ISP you do not get a slow down in connection. You get a slow down in bandwidth. So you would still connect at 5.2k but your downloads would go at maybe 2.8k

I heard that vodaphone was having problems with cell phone towers, maybe they are somehow inter-related

TazzieNZ
04-01-2003, 11:39 AM
Hi there,

I had a friend down Waikanae way complain to me the other day that they are only getting 28,800 connection now with Paradise .....

Interestingly enough they have their lines through Saturn ......... so it probably is not an exchange issue, I would say it is definitely something at Paradises end .....

When he contacted them they said it wasnt a paradise problem so they cant help him ................ great customer service me thinks !!!

InverseEight
04-01-2003, 01:36 PM
It's called "school holiday net", it's where about 750,000 people who would not normally be connected to the internet, are connected, due to it being the holidays. And then you get "public holiday net" where, 1.5m people who would not normally be connected to the net, are connected. Paradise simply dont have enough high speed connection for everyone.

:P

E.ric
05-01-2003, 12:45 AM
Hi I am in Auckland most times I seem to get 56K

but sometimes it seems to be about 5K, I normally log off and back on and it goes faster like 56K

From Eric

roofus
05-01-2003, 10:38 AM
> It's called "school holiday net", it's where about
> 750,000 people who would not normally be connected to
> the internet, are connected, due to it being the
> holidays. And then you get "public holiday net"
> where, 1.5m people who would not normally be
> connected to the net, are connected. Paradise simply
> dont have enough high speed connection for everyone.
>
> :P

incorrect inverse. Read my post above. This is not how a modem exchange works