PDA

View Full Version : Modem detection

FredZundapp
03-01-2003, 10:50 PM
Compaq Pressario 2200, Com2,Interupt 03, 2f8, W95
W95 cannot detect modem....trouble starts after attempting to update driver. Windows detect unknown device but it can't be satisfied with any driver I have.
Modem diag reports....cannot open port. Modem install will only look at com1. At windows startup, a small box with exclamatiom mark appears....two clicks on OK later it's gone! Tried safe mode...no dup. devices. No yelo exclamtions in dev.mananager. All tips appreciated....thanks
Fred

roofus
04-01-2003, 08:37 AM
refer to my post here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=29719)

FredZundapp
05-01-2003, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the tips.........here's the latest

error messages:

Tried installing on com1.....the modem failed to respond. Verify interrupt is properly set.......port info: int4, address 3f8, uart ns 1655an

com2.......couldn't open port
port info:int3, address 2f8, highest speed:no response.

....Installed.....com3....couln't open port,int:4, add 3e8, highest speed: no response.

Removed modem...has Lucent chip 1641 t48 PCC 20 97155 3036640

The modem doctor reports: com2 uart prob and interrupt pending. ERI receiver not properly set.

robsonde
05-01-2003, 10:54 PM
could it be that the modem is dead/fried/buggered??

godfather
05-01-2003, 11:03 PM
The correct driver for your modem is here (http://www.modem-drivers.com/drivers/45/45051.htm)

Now, you will be asked for a login and password when you access the driver site. Login is "drivers", password is "all" (don't enter the quote marks)

A simple search in Google, using Compaq Presario Modem Driver as the search words turned this up in 10 seconds.

roofus
06-01-2003, 07:20 AM
You don't really want to be installing your modem on Com1. As its possible your mouse is using that port.

Look at installing on Com2.
Ensure that you have opened another communications port by going to add hardware in control panel and adding one in.

FredZundapp
06-01-2003, 08:51 PM
thanks for the tips..........

got the modem to work on com2.......tho com2 is not listed in dev.man.
Is this what's called a virtual port?

The driver recommended above, turned out to be for winM.E.......would it have been compatible? More searching turned up a W95 driver from:
http://www.modem-drivers.com/
.....seems Compaq are not interested in having older drivers on their site.!!

Problems to solve now are........(trying to connect to internet)
.........dial up networking could not negotiate a compatible set of networking protocols you specified in server type settings...check your network config in control panel, then try again.

.......these unidentifiable error windows that occur at power up. Just before any icons appear, tho after wallpaper.....two small windows in succession....
each has exclamation mark and O.K. button....click twice, removes.
The clue is....they don't happen booting to safe mode.

Comments invited...

Jim B
06-01-2003, 09:59 PM
For the connection problem -
Double click My Computer and double click Dialup networking
Right click the ISP connection icon and select Properties
Click on Server Types
Remove any tick from Logon to network, NetBeui, and IPX
Click OK

Go to Control panels/Network
Remove all protocols except:
Client for MS networks
Dialup adapter
TCP/IP

Restart the computer.

roofus
06-01-2003, 10:07 PM
I believe a virtual port is com 3 and 4 and so on. Only two Com ports exist on your computer (1,2) and then the virtuals uses the same IRQ but different I/O addreses.
I just had a look at my system, i too don't have a Com2 but my computer runs the modem on Com 2 or 3.
I'm now thinking my comments regarding enabling the extra comm ports only applies to ISA modems, of which there aren't many today as it's old technology.

If the WinME driver works then so use it. It is very possilbe that a WinME driver won't work well on Win95 as they do differ quite a bit. But its also possible that the win95 driver is the same for all versions of win9x.

Your exclaimation marks are caused by some crappy programme loading at startup.

run msconfig at the run command on your start menu, to disable any progs at startup that you believe are causing the problems. If they aren't causing the problems you can reenable them next time windows starts. Search pressf1 with the keyword msconfig for more information on that subject.

Ok your network problems are a concern. In later windows versions you wouldn't get this problem.
basically you need to goto those network settings in control panel. Click on "Add" and you want to add a protocol, and that protocol is TCP/IP
(thats if it isn't already in the list of network components that you already see)

In your dialup networking on your ISP connection, goto the properties of it.
Then goto the networking tab. TCP/IP should be the only protocol being used.
and software compression should be enabled.
You also want to disable anything that says "Log onto network" which i think is under the security tab.
I say this from WinME. so i'm unsure if its exactly the same for win95.
Post back and tell me how you got along.

roofus
06-01-2003, 10:08 PM
Damn Jim, you bet me too it!

Jim B
06-01-2003, 11:09 PM
:D

FredZundapp
09-01-2003, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the excellent help!

Dial up is now working and error "messages" gone........
...followed your instruction for network, which where good.

...error "messages" proved to be devices in Multimedia properties/advanced....were compaq items....... When I clicked on them, the same little "error window" was displayed!!
Disabling "MMSYSTEM.DLL" from SYSTEM.INI also stopped error messages but Rundll and Kernel errors was an "unfortunate side effect"!!

While all of the above was going on..........the 16bit Express audio stopped working. Tried uninstall/re-install.....updated driver....kept me busy for hours. The prob was cured when I read on a driver forum website......."If pressario is updated to "W98", you will need to enable Xpress/Audio in BIOS......
....Well, I hadn't updated to "W98"(tho I'd like to and it's not my PC)
anyhow, the setting HAD mysteriously been disabled!

Incidentally....the method I used to install the driver for the modem is EXACTLY as below, from:
http://www2.driverguide.com/uploads/uploads8/9372.html

MODEM521.EX

Windows 95

Comments:
This is for Compaq Presario 2200
This is the drivers for the modem 33.6
ltwin You cannot get this from the Compaq site.
To install firstly goto control panel then System, device manager see if you have unknown devices there if so one will be this modem.
now unzip this into the temp folder.
if you have a unknown device double click it then update driver then locate c \windows\temp and enjoy your modem no thanks to Compaq no help what so ever.

end
Below is a copy of the system.ini file........comments invited on any item which need attention.

[boot]
system.drv=system.drv
user.exe=user.exe
drivers=mmsystem.dll
gdi.exe=gdi.exe
sound.drv=mmsound.drv
dibeng.drv=dibeng.dll
comm.drv=comm.drv
shell=Explorer.exe
keyboard.drv=keyboard.drv
fonts.fon=vgasys.fon
fixedfon.fon=vgafix.fon
oemfonts.fon=vgaoem.fon
386Grabber=vgafull.3gr
display.drv=pnpdrvr.drv
mouse.drv=mouse.drv
*DisplayFallback=0
SCRNSAVE.EXE=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CURVES~1.SCR

[keyboard]
subtype=
type=4
keyboard.dll=
oemansi.bin=

[boot.description]
keyboard.typ=Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
aspect=100,96,96
display.drv=Cyrix GX
mouse.drv=Standard mouse
system.drv=Standard PC

[386Enh]
device=MF.EXE
ebios=*ebios
device=*vshare
device=*dynapage
device=*vcd
device=*vpd
device=*int13
device=*vpowerd
keyboard=*vkd
display=*vdd
mouse=*vmouse, msmouse.vxd
woafont=dosapp.fon

[power.drv]

[drivers]
wavemapper=*.drv
MSACM.imaadpcm=*.acm
MSACM.msadpcm=*.acm
wave=mmsystem.dll
midi=mmsystem.dll

[iccvid.drv]

[mciseq.drv]

[mci]
cdaudio=mcicda.drv
sequencer=mciseq.drv
waveaudio=mciwave.drv
avivideo=mciavi.drv
videodisc=mcipionr.drv
vcr=mcivisca.drv
MPEGVideo2=mciqtz.drv

[drivers32]
VIDC.IV41=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IR41_32.AX
MSACM.imaadpcm=imaadp32.acm
MSACM.msadpcm=msadp32.acm
MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm
MSACM.msg711=msg711.acm
MSACM.trspch=tssoft32.acm
vidc.CVID=iccvid.dll
VIDC.IV31=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IR32_32.DLL
VIDC.IV32=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IR32_32.DLL
vidc.MSVC=msvidc32.dll
VIDC.MRLE=msrle32.dll
MSACM.MSNAUDIO=msnaudio.acm
msacm.msaudio1=msaud32.acm
msacm.iac2=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IAC25_32.AX
VIDC.IV50=ir50_32.dll

[NonWindowsApp]

[vcache]

[nwnp32]

[MSNP32]

[display]

[Password Lists]
*Rna=C:\WINDOWS\Rna.PWL

[TTFontDimenCache]
0 12=5 12
0 13=6 12
0 14=7 14
0 15=7 15
0 16=8 16
0 18=10 18
0 20=10 20
0 22=12 22

roofus
10-01-2003, 07:24 AM
Under your drivers section. where you have wave=mmsystem.dll it then goes straight onto midi. Is this how it appears in your system.ini (check again cause pressf1 changes formatting sometimes) if so, this will result in an invalid file and wouldn't be loaded.

Your rundll and kernal errors, what are they happening in.
usually it says rundll has caused and error in ??????? at address xzcvzvzvc
Can you tell us the other prog that caused the error, then we can nail that down and rectify it

FredZundapp
10-01-2003, 04:55 PM
PressF1 format must have changed that line in system.in

re... rundll and kernel errors.........
.......the messages occurred after I had disabled "drivers=mmsystem.dll" from system.ini
......after restoring the line, no more errors of the kind appeared.

I gave the PC back to its owner today........he was happy.

For future ref., what would the method of tracking the cause of rundll/kernel errors be? It's got me intriqued as I've seen this many times.

roofus
11-01-2003, 11:16 AM
a rundll error etc, generally happen because a programme running is refering to the rundll library however the info doesn't make sense and so it crashes.

just like for the file that caused the error by reading the message. Like it might say "rundll has caused an error in iexplorer.exe and will now close."

So that means your browser did something wrong and has crashed. THis means that something with your set up of your browser is causing problems. Especially if it happens on regular occassions. If it happens seldom and randomly then its not worth investigating.