PDA

View Full Version : Winblows XP

merlin-nz
03-01-2003, 09:00 PM
Hi people,

A wee small query, My daughter purchased a computer with winblows XP on it and seeing as I unfamiler with XP thought I would ask here.

She rang me to ask, when you delete folders/files from a floppy do they don't go to the recycle bin. My answer was NO!

When she deleted a file from a floppy it (the computer program) stated that it could be reclaimed from the recycle bin.

Without checking it out myself I find it very unlikley, what say you people out there that know a damn lot more than me.

cheers merlin-nz ;-)

godfather
03-01-2003, 09:06 PM
I am with you, recycle bin is not an option in any version of Windows as far as I know, when deleting from floppy (and I have just tested it on XP)

robsonde
03-01-2003, 09:06 PM
I think not.

the recycle bin only works with the hard drives.

it might be posable to recover files from a floppy after they get deleted but cont count on it :-)

godfather
03-01-2003, 09:09 PM
From Help and Support (in Windows XP)

Recycle Bin overview

The Recycle Bin provides a safety net when deleting files or folders. When you delete any of these items from your hard disk, Windows places it in the Recycle Bin and the Recycle Bin icon changes from empty to full. Items deleted from a floppy disk or a network drive are permanently deleted and are not sent to the Recycle Bin.

Baldy
03-01-2003, 09:17 PM
I would have thought that deleting from floppy was virtually formatting it

godfather
03-01-2003, 09:19 PM
No, deleting from a floppy is similar to deleting from a HDD.
Only the "pointers" to the file are deleted, the file is there until its written over.

merlin-nz
03-01-2003, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys,

Yeah I thought I was correct on this one, Will have to pay this girl a vist and see for my self this msystery message.

Sometimes you just have to see things for yourself and then try to explain to ones kids that you now better than them. :D

Cheers merlin-nz ;-)

tango
03-01-2003, 11:40 PM
hey thats interesting...anybody know of a way to recover data from a floppy?

Mike
04-01-2003, 08:11 AM
>>> hey thats interesting...anybody know of a way to recover data from a floppy?

Data recovery software. Expensive, but it can do it :) I have at least one program here that'll try to recover data from a floppy, however since a floppy is small quite often too much of the data is overwritten next time you save things to the disk, so more than likely you won't find much there.

Mike.

Trev0
04-01-2003, 09:22 AM
there's a free recovery prog from here (http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/amd/887/rescue/index.html) that does a basic job if there's something there to recover..

J ZEP
04-01-2003, 09:41 AM
Hi Merlin, I am wondering if she got NAV when she brought the new computer, as the new NAV i use now NAV 2003 pro ed. gives you a norton protected recycle bin, she would probably get that message then, I just checked out the help as i was unsure if floppies were recoverable as i hadn't tested that, and they are using this apparently. That would account for the messsage maybe. I think the norton protected recycle bin is the default one if i remember right. Somebody may prove me wrong however as i haven't got alot of time to investigate further :-)