PDA

View Full Version : Outlook express email notfication.

Mark Veldhuizen
03-01-2003, 06:22 PM
How do I get outlook express to tell me when i get an email? it only displays the notification if outlook is open. i want it to always tell me.

HELP

Jen C
03-01-2003, 07:27 PM
If you don't have Outlook Express open, it cannot go and check for new mail.

Not open = No notifications

Mark Veldhuizen
03-01-2003, 08:03 PM
How do i get around this? is there some sort of "patch" or third party software that can run constantly hidden (and start with windows)?

sam m
03-01-2003, 08:36 PM
How about Mailwasher (http://www.mailwasher.net/). It would do what you want as well it has the added advantage of giving you the option of 'bouncing' spam before it makes it to outlook express.

sam m
ps-it's FREE!

godfather
03-01-2003, 08:41 PM
You will need to start OE with windows, you can have it minimised, but it must be running.

You must be connected to the net of course as well, at least everytime it checks for mail. Think of it as you checking for mail in your letterbox. You need to go outside, and visit the letterbox to check for mail. You will never know if there is new mail by sitting inside all day. Just like OE (or any e-mail application) will never know if you dont let it run.

I use Eudora for e-mail and check every 60 seconds for new mail. It runs minimised, in the background. As I have ADSL I am always connected to the net.

roofus
04-01-2003, 09:26 AM
every 60seconds godfather!!!! you must be important!

Susan B
04-01-2003, 09:50 AM
> every 60seconds godfather!!!! you must be important!

Oh he is!!! :D

Actually I have mine doing the same, mainly to keep my connection from going to sleep when I'm reading rather than browsing.

J ZEP
04-01-2003, 10:12 AM
Another way would be to use that e-mail addy with "windows messenger" and sign in on start up with messenger. I did that when i first got my computer a year or so back (using win. XP) - until i got my hotmail addy to use with it (windows messenger). But it may be opening yourself up to spam possibly? But if you set it up right you may be o.k. as i have never gotten spam in that e-mail addy yet;-)
Anyway that would give you what you wanted, as in messenger would be in the system tray all the time you are online and would give you the instant notitication you want. I don't know if this is possible with other o.s's apart from windows xp (using non hotmail addys), but have a feeling i may have read somewhere something about that???

InverseEight
04-01-2003, 01:41 PM
Incredimail does what you want (has tray icon, which loads with Windows, and checks for mail at specified time interval), and it's available as a free download. It is also imune to many of the OE/Outlook security exploits. You can also make it dial in in order to check (if required) and hang up when done. Very useful.

http://incredimail.com

Jim B
04-01-2003, 02:18 PM
I don't see what the problem is with having Outlook Express open and minimized.
It will do all the things mentioned that Incredimail can do.
Regardless what you use it has to be running to be able to check for messages.
I am expecting the next question to be - I want to access web sites without opening my web browser
Personally I hate getting messages from people with Incredimail and having to wait for all the html to load and then trying to find the message amongst all the bright lights and garbage. Seems pointless to me, does nothing for the informatiom that is being expressed in the message.

Bob Kehely
04-01-2003, 02:19 PM
Gidday,

a small free program called epromptor should do the trick for you,
here is the website,..http://download.com.com/3000-2369-8986018.html?tag=lst-0-1

cheers,

Bob

Jim B
04-01-2003, 02:48 PM
This will do it but it still needs to be open and running so what advantage is there over having OE open apart from it being able to check multiple accounts which I don't think is an issue here.

What amuses me about this post is that it seems everyone is trying to solve a problem which does not exist and is only a mindset with the user.

roofus
04-01-2003, 03:01 PM
Calm down Jim, your getting all worked up. Indeed you are correct, but its ok for people to recommend software. It's done in every post.
Go outside and enjoy the sun

sam m
04-01-2003, 03:17 PM
what else are we going to do Jim B

you're stealing the thunder from those who are genuinely trying to help (whether advice is accepted or not) it makes us feel good to contribute as some of us wait for an opportunity to be able to offer what little knowledge we possess. No reply necessary, just needed to say this.

sam m

Susan B
04-01-2003, 03:29 PM
I hate these types of threads where everyone tries to offer help and advice and the original poster isn't available to provide feedback. We still don't really know exactly what Mark is trying to do.

When I originally read his question I was wondering whether he's having problems getting Outlook Express to display notifications when it is open? Maybe Outlook gives the notifications when that is running but Outlook Express doesn't???

Let's just wait for some feedback from Mark now as I think he's been offered enough solutions for the time being. :-)

Rest break is over.... back to the garden I go.....

Mark Veldhuizen
04-01-2003, 05:32 PM
Susan, I've been busy and posted this less than 24 hours ago, i am not on this board 24/7. But thanks. :)

Jim B I do hope you calm down, yes I KNOW outlook does that but it has to be MINIZMIED to the taskbar, not the tray icon. I hate having some app peremently taking 1/3 of my taskbar when i can just have a small 16x16 icon in my tray. i find it stupid to have outlook always open when all its doing is checking mail.

My problem is solved, however, as I now have Mail@Mate which does exactly what i needed, it even plays a little sound and a MSN style box comes up saying "You have revieved an email from..." then the name, and when u click it takes u straight into the OE inbox. Very stylish very cool, best of all NOT PERMENTLY MINISZED WHERE IT CAN BE ACCIDENTLY CLOSED/ETC!!!!

Oh and Incredimail sucks tremendously.