PDA

View Full Version : IE 6 download problem

sellboat
03-01-2003, 04:11 PM
Im running W98 SE & IE6. Whenever I try to download. it goes through all the motions but the new page pops up blank with just a small (placemet) Icon in the top left corner.

This small square icon contains 3 coloured shapes - a triangle, a square and a circle.

IE6 is right up to date , same with defrag etc.

Waitng with interest

Thanks

godfather
03-01-2003, 04:19 PM
Sounds like its set to not display images?

In IE,
Tools - Internet Options - Advanced

Make sure "display pictures" is ticked?

sellboat
03-01-2003, 04:29 PM
Thanks but no, it already was enabled. I unchecked it and applied it again, but still have the same prob.
Thanks

godfather
03-01-2003, 04:35 PM
Can you be a bit more specific, when you say "download" do you mean downloading a file or application, or simply viewing a website?

If you cannot view a website, do you get nothing at all, or just text and the "placeholders" you refer to?

sellboat
03-01-2003, 04:39 PM
I can open a page with a URL, go to favorites etc. It is only when I attempt to download software that I get the failure - sometimes I can download the .exe file in "Find", but mostly not. Thanks

godfather
03-01-2003, 04:49 PM
So...if you right-click on the file that you wish to download, and select "save as", then save it to where you can find it later when it has downloaded, does it work?

sellboat
03-01-2003, 06:29 PM
No, I do not get that window coming up now.

Jim B
03-01-2003, 06:52 PM
If you have Quicktime installed then this might be the problem

Uninstall Quicktime. Using Regedit, navigate to the following registry key. Export the key and then delete it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.exe

You will, of course, need to reinstall QuickTime with a version compatible with your IE version.

MS info Here ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q316537) as well

This may not be your problem but worth checking.

godfather
03-01-2003, 06:54 PM
> No, I do not get that window coming up now.

? which Window?

Are you saying you do not even get the "save as" dialogue box coming up?
If so, it would appear your IE is perhaps damaged and needs re-loading.