PDA

View Full Version : IRQ

Derek
02-01-2003, 04:15 PM
Running Win98 on a 1ghz computer.
Mother board GA-7VRX/GA-7VRXP
The present IRQ setting is 11 for the inbuilt sound card It is critical that the IRQ be either 5 or 7 for a specific program I run.
The device manager for the sound card says that the setting of 11 cannot be altered even if the automatic assignment is disabled.
Anybody any suggestions.
Thanx

Terry Porritt
02-01-2003, 09:30 PM
One of the problems with Windows is that it has a bit of intelligence, but not quite enough to assign IRQs as one would like them!
If when you uncheck 'Use automatic settings' and try to manually change the IRQ, see if you can change or set up a new Basic configuration.

If that doesnt work, then depending on your CMOS setup, you could try changing the PNP/PCI configuration from auto to manual, and see if you can allocate an IRQ that way. This would generally be the way to go to bend Windows to your will :) It isnt easy.

One of the advantages of having an ISA slot is that the CMOS setup usually allows an IRQ to be set as an ISA legacy, so that a PCI plug n play device will be excluded. If you have this feature, then set IRQ11 to ISA legacy and the sound card will be forced to go elsewhere.

IRQs that Windows persists in allocating to a device are a pain, it took me months on and off to find how to move an HCF modem from where Windows was determined it would go.

tweak\'e
02-01-2003, 09:38 PM
whats the program?? the only ones that i now that need the irq are dos programs and it depends on if you have enabled dos support for the onboard sound.

tango
03-01-2003, 07:32 AM
if it's a dos program, there are quite a few ways to get sound to work. try googling "vdmsound", a program which emulates the legacy environment.

Derek
03-01-2003, 05:18 PM
Thanks Guys Yes it is a DOS program. Will try your suggestions and report

Derek

Derek
03-01-2003, 08:43 PM
Hi
VDMSound only works with NT 2000 and Xp but not WIN98se

Appear not to have an ISA legacy so can't set the IRQ to 10 (it has changed from 11 to 10 whilst I have been fiddling)^%$$#$#

tweak\'e
03-01-2003, 08:49 PM
check in the bios and see if there is sound blaster compatible sound. some onboards give an optoin which can work in dos.

Terry Porritt
04-01-2003, 08:01 AM
The fact that the IRQ has changed from 11 to 10 with "fiddling", if you can remember what you've done, then you may be able to fiddle it onto IRQ5 :)
Good luck

Derek
09-01-2003, 05:29 PM
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/ .

Thanks for your help. The above web site had the solution to my problems.

Derek

Billy T
09-01-2003, 05:58 PM
Hi Derek

Could you post a link to the solution you found or provide the search term you used. I can't find this topic and I need it for similar reasons.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Derek
10-01-2003, 09:40 AM
Hi Billy,
The link is at the top of my previous note. Add "/development" to the web address. It is a diffiicult web site to navigate but well worth it.
The sound produced is purer than any I have heard before with fancy sound cards.

Derek

Billy T
10-01-2003, 10:39 AM
Hi Derek

I had already tried a fairly comprehensive search on the URL you provided and you are right, it is a very difficult site to navigate!

I have also tried http://vogons.zetafleet.com/development as you suggested but that returns a "page not found" response.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

godfather
10-01-2003, 12:34 PM
Hi Billy

Try here (http://vogons.zetafleet.com/showthread.php?s=84191e478d8d6be045d15e1d4e6eed9d&threadid=900)

This should take you to the link.
I am surprised that one of your ability was unable to navigate the site :)

Billy T
10-01-2003, 01:40 PM
Thanks God

Time was the issue there, not ability. I'm as busy as a one armed paperhanger this year (already) and just couldn't afford to spend the time fighting my way through it. I thought Derek might be able to speed the process for me.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D