PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody out there gotting "pop up syndrome"

E.ric
02-01-2003, 06:34 AM
Ever since I have gone to Mozilla I seem to have got "pop-up-syndrome", at least every hour of the day there is a pop up message, You go to a web site and more pop up message pops ups, you go to save something from the web as some as you hit the save button another pop up message pops up to say it is finished, it only took fractions of a minute to do, it seems it is the modern thin to do now, you are not allowed to make software without putting in a pop up, maybe not some people get paid $100 a pop up they make.

Does anybody know a good "pop-up-syndrome" doctor, maybe a doctor fro the IT might do, but then might be a bit on the expensive side.

Billy T
02-01-2003, 09:40 AM
Hi E.ric

I use ZoneAlarm pro which seems to keep pop-ups and pop-unders under control, though I do have to disable the pop-up/pop-under killer some times when it interferes with legitimate site activities.

Cheers

Billy [8-{)

E.ric
02-01-2003, 11:08 AM
it is not the web but Mozilla is been giving me a good dose, then I open a text file in Linux and a pop up ask what format would you like it in, Apity I can not right click and send it to a program like I can in Windows.

John H
02-01-2003, 11:14 AM
I use The Proxomitron, and this stops pop ups, pop unders, and quite a lot of ads. I think I got it off a PC World Cd some time ago, or at least I learned about it through NZ PC World. You can configure it quite a bit to gain more or less control over various web horribles.

Unfortunately it can cause problems with installation of Windows Updates and Office Updates, so you have to turn it off if you are going to use those services. It doesn't seem to interfere as much with legit pop ups (eg ads on Buy, Sell, and Exchange) as other pop up stoppers I have tried.

The website is http://proxomitron.org if you want to try it.

John

John

kiwibeat
02-01-2003, 01:41 PM
Run ad-aware, active privacy and I also use webwasher and popup killer

obsidion
02-01-2003, 01:53 PM
> Ever since I have gone to Mozilla I seem to have got
> "pop-up-syndrome", at least every hour of the day
> there is a pop up message, You go to a web site and
> more pop up message pops ups, you go to save
> something from the web as some as you hit the save
> button another pop up message pops up to say it is
> finished, it only took fractions of a minute to do,
> it seems it is the modern thin to do now, you are not
> allowed to make software without putting in a pop up,
> maybe not some people get paid $100 a pop up they
> make.
>
> Does anybody know a good "pop-up-syndrome" doctor,
> maybe a doctor fro the IT might do, but then might be
> a bit on the expensive side.

With mozilla go to preferences, advanced, scripts and windows and turn them off.

E.ric
02-01-2003, 01:59 PM
yes I did stop som of them

E.ric
02-01-2003, 02:28 PM
> yes I did stop soma of them

OK I have just back from outside and banging my head on a brick wall !!!

This post started off and was meant as a joke you know like the comedy they have on free to air television stations (TV1, TV2, TV3, TV4, ) e.g. modern USA comedy (not funny at all) the only thing that gets a kick out of the program is the "canned laughter",
So have another read and click the icon called "laugh" on your computer to play "canned laughter"

Eat more sugar and laugh
From Eric

-=JM=-
02-01-2003, 06:17 PM
I know what you mean E.ric it can be like that. You can usually un/tick a box and it will not pop up next time.