PDA

View Full Version : Virus Infected Emails

bk T
01-01-2003, 10:54 PM
I have been receiving virus infected emails from someone who I do not know.

How do I stop him/her from sending virus infected emails to me?

The sender is : Jonathan Bedford email: bedforjc1@e3.net.nz

I sent an email to him but the mail was returned. Reason: user unknown.

What shall I do next?

godfather
01-01-2003, 11:01 PM
Virii have the ability to fudge the "from address". Some change one character at or near the end. Looking at the address its possible the "d" has been stripped, and perhaps the "1" added, or multiples of that theory.?

Perhaps forward the text to abuse@e3.net.nz, or whatever their equivalent is? However:

Have you considered that it may be a real address, and the recipient is using MailWasher to bounce unknown e-mails?

Some Virii also use a fake "from address" by stealing a genuine one from the users address book, in which case the sender is not who you think it is at all.

Perhaps you should install MailWasher and bounce all his?

godfather
01-01-2003, 11:01 PM
Sorry. Delete all his, bouncing simply chews up bandwidth.

Pauline
01-01-2003, 11:07 PM
Just be glad that you have a good & up to date AV programme. I assume that you do & just hit the delete button. Also do not have the preview pane displayed as this allows the highlighted email to automatically open.
Pauline.

duckyduck
02-01-2003, 08:40 AM
http://www.e3.net.nz/

The above link has a contact tab on it, send the details to e3 but they will also need the information contained in the message header.

On some AV programs such as NAV you can set it to auto delete any infected attachments without prompting you first, good if you have children also using the same computer, that is a option open to you.

Without opening the message unless the virus has already been deleted or otherwise locked away single right click and click Properties and then Details and have a read through that, many virus's now forge the senders address, eg, I could have sent that virus to you but you might see the sender as Godfather (assuming I had his address in my address book).

The information in the Message Headers will give you a much better idea of where the virus is coming from, at this stage it is e3.net because of the "senders" address but the ISP that has handled the message could be for arguements sake be Xtra, you will see that in that info, if that is the case send your complaint with a copy of the message headers to the ISP concerned and they can follow up from that information.

Then there is Mailwasher available from www.mailwasher.net/ whether you choose to bounce back to sender or not is beside the point, the advantage if nothing else is you can screen your mail while it is still on the mail server, it allows you to get full header information of suspect emails and has a delete function so you end up only downloading mail YOU want to have in your inbox.

Baldy
02-01-2003, 10:37 AM
> Sorry. Delete all his, bouncing simply chews up
> bandwidth.

Hi GF,

I have seen the bandwidth thingee mentioned a few times on this forum. Does this only have relevance if you are using Jetstream, or does it effect us all.

BALDY:-)

godfather
02-01-2003, 11:39 AM
We all complain about the internet being "slow" at times

Irrespective of your connection type, the main internet pathways suffer from congestion. Any reduction in traffic will lessen that.

If you bounce an email, and its from a dummy address or the originater is using a program to bounce emails, it bounces back to you again. For 1 email in, you send it back and it returns. 3 times the traffic.