PDA

View Full Version : Converting mpg & avi to asf

tones_malones
01-01-2003, 09:53 PM
hey guys,
is there a programme out there that would let me convert mpg or avi to asf? i want to keep the vids i have and i dont mind losing some quality. I had a small trawl of posts similar to this one, all had no luck, im off to search on google but if anyone has any suggestions that would be wonderful.

TonesMalones

-=JM=-
01-01-2003, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure what you could use to do that. But I'm interested in why you want them in asf format?

tones_malones
01-01-2003, 11:00 PM
JM - i want to keep the videos on my comp, mostly ones of my friends taken with a digital camera plus some music videos & interviews, but i've only got a small h/d. asf is slightly lower quality right? which gives it a smaller file size. I don't have a burner so i can't transfer them to cd, i could prolly split em (using 4th split) but i can only imagine how many floppies would be have to be used for 700 megs of video :)

Does it make sense? I've added them all to a .zip, but they don't compress that much and it doesn't make that much difference. Perhaps not converting them to asf is a good idea, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

TonesMalones

tweak\'e
01-01-2003, 11:39 PM
best bet is to reencode them in something like divx. just a matter of choosing the correct settings to get the file size you need. quality will suffer when you shrink them. at least with divx there is heaps of tools about to edit it with.

tones_malones
02-01-2003, 09:31 AM
thanks tweak`e thats a good suggestion, can you recomend any encoders? i've got all the codecs to play em, but i wouldn't have a clue how to re-encode them...but im lookin forward to learnin!!!

TonesMalones

vk_dre
02-01-2003, 11:09 AM
why not try the Divx- Digest Site (http://www.divx-digest.com) for encoders and tutorials.

cheers,
v.K

Terry Porritt
02-01-2003, 12:22 PM
You can also use Windows Media Encoder to produce asf files from either live sources, or from mpg, avi, files etc.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/wm7/encoder.asp